Our family

Our family

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas

Whew, life has been busy lately. Too busy, really. But that's what the holidays are all about, I guess!

I got a very nice present for Christmas this year- plane tickets! I knew it would be hectic, with our trip to Disneyland earlier this month, but I really wanted to go to Ohio for Christmas. We haven't gone there since the kids were born, but this was a good year to go. They were old enough to be manageable, Kaitlyn was young enough to not need a plane ticket, and they were both oblivious to presents and Santa, so we didn't have to take half the universe across the country with us each way.

The first thing we had to do when we got there was inspect "The Village". My parents collected a lot of Snow Village houses over the years, and I don't think they could fit one more house or person or tree onto their platform beneath the Christmas tree. It even has a train that goes around! My kids loved it.


Then Kaitlyn had to show off her coloring skills. Because that is currently her favorite pastime.



Next up was sugar cookies. Always a good toddler activity, even if the cookies never look very good afterward.



On Christmas Eve, my family does Gingerbread houses. I wasn't sure what my kids would think of this activity, but it was a lot of fun!


Tyler teamed up with Daddy, and they basically let Tyler push everything in once Daddy put the icing down. Very neat and orderly.


But Kaitlyn quickly discovered that she could use the icing bag herself, thank you. So I made the house, and gave her free reign of one corner with the icing and some candies.


Nice and orderly . . .



With some munching on the side (Kaitlyn decided she didn't care for peeps at all) . . .



And then the happy little mess on the other side of the table.



When she got bored of the corner I gave her (she very carefully put a mint on each marshmallow), she expanded to the bowls. And then she told us that it was time to give "quack quack hat".


Ta da! The finished works of art.



Christmas morning was still nice and relaxed. My mother thought it was very impressive that my kids wanted to play with each gift as they opened it, and had to be dragged away to open the next.

Kaitlyn knew just what to do with Tyler's steamroller.


When Tyler unwrapped this truck, he said "look! A tase-a-mur!" We still don't know what that means. But he liked it very much.

Well, that's all for part one- hopefully part two will come soon!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That little snow village is the one thing that I really remember about your Mom and Dad's house! I remember having firesides there and that snow village all set up! So fun!! Those gingerbread houses looked fantastic!