Our family

Our family

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Photoshop fun

I haven't made a post in a while, but we haven't done anything that interesting anyway. Well, we did get to go see Brian Regan perform as a date night, but I don't have any pictures of that. That was a lot of fun though.

I am still taking my photography class. I am really enjoying it, and I think I am gaining a lot more confidence from everything I have learned. I'm no pro, but it is a fun hobby. So I thought I would share my "assignment" this week. We had to take a picture and then send in the original and the edited version. And today, Kaitlyn decided to empty the toy box entirely and sit in it to watch TV.

The Original:


And the Edited:


For the other Photoshop nuts out there, I used Pioneer Woman's actions to burn the edges and warm the tones. Then I burned the glare on the toy box and dodged her hair, because your eye is naturally drawn to the lightest part of the photograph, and I wanted the focus to be on her and not the corner of the box. I also used the healing brush to smooth out the harsh shadow on the TV.

As for the actual shot, the things I learned in class really helped me get the settings right. I liked that the composition followed the rule of thirds (more or less), and my teacher reminded us how important it is to get on the child's level for candid shots. I thought it told a story here, which is always better than just a kid smiling at the camera.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it!

3 comments:

Than and Erica said...

I took a class and you'll have to come over and look at my papers sometime. She has super good tips and tricks. it's addicting, i tell ya!

Andrea said...

OH what fun! I wish I could take a class. I have been doing a lot of online reading and I have some really great videos. I would LOVE to take a hands on class. And I am a total photoshop addict!! LOL!!

I think you did a good job with the photo!! And did you know I started a photography business? I have a photography blog. And Sarah Jenson, remember her? She has a photography business too!!! :)

Sarah Skarda said...

Erica: You're on! We should trade notes. I'm getting the new photoshop here soon, and I can't wait!

Andrea: It has been great- but I also learned a ton from online. I love my RSS feed from DPS- I don't know if you read them, but they are great. I am amazed at how many people are doing the photography business thing! I knew about Sara- and also Aimee (Thornton) White has one too! I hope it goes well for you!