Our family

Our family

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tyler's 6th Birthday

One of the things we love the most about Tyler is how happy he is.  Just one little present or activity or suprise would make him happy for hours.  So when his birthday comes around and he gets all kinds of happy things, life is just grand!  It is actually tough to get him on to the next activity, because he gets so excited by the first present or activity that he never wants to do anything else.

We asked him if he wanted to go bowling or skating for his birthday, and he picked skating.  So we invited Christopher's family to come with us on Monday, since everyone was off school and work for New Year's. 

And before I could even start unpacking all the stuff we brought with us, Tyler grabbed his scooter and took off.  Every time he made the full lap back to me he would tell me "I made it!"


Oh- and the story about the hat.  I decided a week or so ago that I needed to make Tyler a hat.  He LOVES wearing hats - pretend construction hats, Santa hats, you name it - so I knew it would be something he would really get a kick out of.  The cheap paper hats in the store wouldn't last a full day, let alone two for his party and his birthday itself.  But with cabin trips and the holidays I didn't get to make a trip out for fabric, so I just had to dig into the fabric leftover bin Sunday night.  And then I spent way too much time overthinking the idea of making it reusable (putting a 4 on it for Kaitlyn's birthday in a couple of weeks, maybe even using it again next year, etc), and way too much time reworking the pom pom on top, and by the time I was done at close to midnight Christopher said "this better be the best hat the world has ever seen!"

To which I responded, "I don't even like the stupid thing!"  If I wanted to, I could make another hat in a half an hour flat.  So it was just the tweaking that made me go crazy.  But we knew that Tyler would love it no matter what, and sure enough he hasn't taken it off for two days straight.

Anyway, back to the party.  We had a great turnout, and I think everyone had a lot of fun!



After about 20 minutes of skating, I opened the bags of chips in case anyone wanted a snack.  And when Tyler discovered the bag of Cheetos, he decided that he was no longer interested in his scooter.  He seriously sat there with the bag of Cheetos for at least 20 minutes, as happy as could be. 


Meanwhile, little sister was also enjoying a scooter she borrowed from her cousins.


And Daddy had a blast playing "tag" with his oldest nephew.


One of the things I love the most about going to this skating rink is seeing the random talent my husband has.  This was one of his favorite high school hangouts - he had some friends that all loved to go in full costume for disco night.  And so when he gets out there now, he can just zip around the course and pull some cool stunts.


One of the older girls decided that she loved taking Kaitlyn around "because she is actually trying to balance!"  and loved to tell me each lap they did that "she didn't even fall down once!"  It was so sweet of her to help Kaitlyn out while I was playing hostess.  And sure enough, by the time I took her for a lap towards the end, Kaitlyn was so intent on figuring this out that she even skated 30 feet or so all by herself. 


So after enjoying way too many Cheetos, Tyler scootered for a bit more before it was time for pizza (his all time favorite food).  And then he got a few more laps in before it was time for cake.  When we picked out his cake that morning, he told me he wanted "chocolate!"  I tried directing him to the Oreo or Snickers cake that had cookies or candies in the frosting, but he heard none of that.  There was one with chocolate frosting, and only that one would do.  The flowers on top were irrelevant.


We lit his candle and then paused for a second, since the music was REALLY loud at that moment and we weren't sure if we should try and sing or wait until the song ended.  So Tyler gave up on us and blew out the candle, giggling in sheer joy.  We lit it up again, sang as loud as we could despite not being able to hear each other, and he got to blow out the candle one more time.


For his actual birthday today, we let him sleep in and open his presents in his pajamas.  And then he went to school with a package of Oreos to share with his class, and the party hat still on his head.  After more pizza tonight, we went out for ice cream together.

Happy Birthday little guy!

No comments: