Does anyone else feel like Easter is the holiday that just keeps going? I guess I expect Christmas to take over a month or two, but I keep thinking Easter should be a one day event and it turns into five egg hunts per kid.
As usual, it started with the neighborhood hunt. Which, as usual, started with an enormous amount of snow. But this year, the new people in charge have a new house which they kindly let us take over. And thank heavens, because it was really great to be able to chat with everyone instead of huddle over hot chocolate and run off.
I stayed with Miss Jasmine while Daddy took the bigger kids downstairs to their area.
So we looked for eggs.
And the first one she found popped open. There was shiny, foil wrapped chocolate inside! Instantly, the hunt was over. She had all she wanted. I tried to talk her into putting more eggs in her basket, but all she wanted was the (now) slimy mess of her chocolates. Tyler and Kaitlyn were all done before I even got a second egg in Jasmine's basket.
So we went home and let the baby have her prize.
A week later, we dyed some eggs. Kaitlyn had been begging for this for days, and was really into it this year. Tyler loved it, but had no patience for the multicolored creations like Kaitlyn. He wrote his name in crayon on each one, dunked it in the dye, pulled it out five seconds later, and proudly talked about how green the egg was now. Done!
And the day before Easter was the annual family hunt. There are a lot of cousins these days (25 with two on the way, I think), two doggies, some chickens for them to chase, and Grandma brought goldfish for all the kids to "win" and take home.
Peek a boo!
The kids played with the parachute while the adults hid an unbelievable number of eggs.
And Tyler might not have been keen on following the instructions on when to stay still and when to run, but it was mostly because he was SO excited about the parachute. He was jumping around in sheer glee!
And Jasmine was just happy to be walking around in the sunshine.
They let the little kids go first, and we did a little better this time. Mainly because that first egg just wouldn't pop open like she wanted it to.
I didn't get a good shot of the kids hunting for eggs, since they moved pretty fast and Jasmine didn't like me leaving her side with so many people around, but they had a blast.
In fact, I gotta say I really appreciated my sweet kids that day. Another family has three little girls that each gathered 30-40 eggs until their baskets and arms couldn't contain any more. But at least one of them still went home sobbing because she didn't get enough of the certain kind of eraser like her sister. Tyler picked up 6 or so eggs and acted like it was the best thing ever. Kaitlyn got 14, half of them hard-boiled, and didn't even care what was or wasn't inside. I've tried to instill that in them, but honestly I think the credit goes to Tyler for just being happy no matter what happens, and passing that nonchalance on to Kaitlyn.
Besides, how can you have a bad day when you get candy, cupcakes, take home a pet goldfish, play games, and eat cotton candy?
By the time we got to Easter itself, I was rather sick of plastic eggs. Which is why, I have to be honest, the Easter Bunny has never come to our house before. But Kaitlyn is old enough to have heard about how it was supposed to work, so thankfully the Easter Bunny came while everyone was at church.
Kaitlyn was thrilled to find all of the eggs. And once again, Tyler was happy to sit and play with the first couple he found. "Do the patt-er-ens match? Noooo."
Such a cute little guy.
After he opened a couple of them up and switched them all, he took his new Pez and went over to Daddy. "You are my homeboy," he said, repeating what Daddy has told him since he was little, and offered Daddy a "treat."
Tyler might not be anywhere near other kids his age developmentally, and he might never be. But he sure is the sweetest little guy I've ever known.

















No comments:
Post a Comment