There are things I love about summer- I love not having my life booked out solid, I like all the nice weather and fun things we get to do. But by the end, I am so ready to have a schedule again! I honestly wish I could have a balance, because during the school year, I feel like I never see my kids. But during the summer, I see a bit too much of them, in a way. Tyler and Jasmine have gotten worse the last two summers at picking fights with anything the other one did. So even though I was nervous about new schools and new teachers, I was ready.
Tyler started school at Spectrum Academy this year, and while I am nervous about him being able to step up to the level that school is at, I am really good friends with his teacher. That helps both of us! She knows Tyler really well, and Tyler knows her, so they seem to be doing well.
We were late getting out the door that first day, that's for sure. My kids had forgotten how to stay on task in the mornings. It seemed like as soon as I went to help one kid, the other one wandered off task. At one point I helped Tyler pack a lunch, and then turned around to find him eating it. Ack! So that picture was taken as fast as lightning before dashing off.
They love their Minecraft shirts, though. I helped Kaitlyn design, cut and iron them on, and then Kaitlyn sewed the face onto those T-shirts. It was a fun project! We even made them for a bunch of her cousins.
The next week, Jasmine started preschool. We are just swapping with some moms in the neighborhood, which is a first for me. I'm nervous for my turn to teach, because it isn't my usual specialty, but it will be worth having free preschool for sure. And she loves it. She is so thrilled to have her tiny backpack and go to school like the big kids.
Mom is thrilled to have a minute to herself. :)
I cut her hair a day or two before school started for her. I kept growing it out, thinking that I would love having hair to braid and play with, but it just didn't suit her like the little bob does. She lost her patience with me towards the end of this haircut, but I think I got it in the end.
The next week, we got thrown for another loop. John Hancock Charter School called to say that they have a spot for Kaitlyn. I had put her name down years ago and forgotten all about them. But after talking it over with everyone, we all felt like it would be a good fit for Kaitlyn. So then we had another first day of school!
She wasn't sure about the uniforms at first- she told me they looked like "boy clothes". But I think she is getting used to it already. She is sad about leaving all of her friends behind, but I am banking on her making so many new friends that she sails right on. This school will level her up in math and reading, which the public school can't, and she will start learning the violin soon as well.
Somewhere in there we went to visit another school. BYU does a "kick-off" every year, and as we stood in line this year, we debated our decision to go. They ran late, which made us miss Pack Meeting. The kids just love it, though! It seems aimed at their age group.
Kaitlyn got to try gymnastics on a big set of bars . . .
the brave older kids got to hug Cosmo . . .
they played games . . .
got their faces painted. . .
and got shy around the cheerleaders.
A happy day.





No comments:
Post a Comment