Our family

Our family

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Sewing lessons

I've been thinking about running sewing lessons in my house for years.  I taught Kaitlyn when she was 6, and she has been begging for more lessons ever since.  We just never quite carved out enough time for it.  The appeal of teaching a sewing class was mainly because I had grand plans of what I wanted to teach her, and it seemed like a waste to create worksheets and lessons for just one girl.

So this year, I went for it, despite our kitchen and house being in shambles.  I had planned on having the class in the dining room, but I had to settle for the basement.  I'm glad I did.  Being right next to my sewing area really helped.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, because it kept me really busy to have 4 sewing students working at a time.  I learned a lot about what to change next time.  For example, I had one 6 year old in the beginning class, and she was probably a bit too young.  (Though her mom said that she loves it and talks about it constantly.  So at least she got an appreciation for it, and some basics!)  I will certainly change up my intermediate class to be longer next time, since we ran out of time every day.  But overall, it was a big success!


And most importantly, Kaitlyn had a wonderful time.  She filled her zipper pouch with sewing supplies and took it everywhere she went for weeks.  Having sewing class scheduled into my day really helped us both.


Happy students were an extra bonus!


No comments: