
I think I have mentioned before the Christopher has been training like crazy for marathons lately. His goals is to qualify for the Boston Marathon, which in his age group means running a 3 hr 10 min race. That is 8.5 miles per hour, for three hours. If that means nothing to you, trust me when I say that is insanely fast. He goes to the gym 4-5 times a week if he can, and is cross training on his mountain bike.
Well, he went out biking in the rain with my cousin last Tuesday, and came home limping. Which is normally bad, but at that point horrible because one of the two marathons he was planning on doing this summer was on Saturday. Apparently his thigh landed on a jagged rock when he took a spill. So, he told me he would walk the 5K with me.
Keep in mind, he signed me up for the 5K for reasons neither of us were sure of. I have not excercized once since last October or so.
But I'm a good sport, and as long as I didn't care about my time, it is good excercise anyway, right? I borrowed a jogging stroller from my friendly neighbor Erica (thanks so much!) and off we went. The kids loved it in there. Kaitlyn especially liked the chocolate milk at the end.

The fun part was that this particular marathon was started by one of Christopher's friends last year. We spent an entire summer with this guy, doing 5 marathons together that year before Tyler was born. And he did a great job organizing this race! I can't even fathom how much there is to organizing something like this, but it went really well.
Christopher got his company to sponsor the race both years, and this year his boss offered to sponser anyone who wanted to run it. So we had a great turnout! I ended up running with one of the other wives, and we really enjoyed chatting.

And Christopher asked me the morning of if it was okay if he ran ahead of me, because his leg was feeling a bit better. Sure. And then he freakin took off! Chris came in 11th place in the entire 5K, and got 2nd place in his age group. And one of his co-workers got 2nd place in his age group too! Congrats guys, you were awesome!

Sometimes it is better to do something small really well, rather than something big really poorly. He was glad he didn't do the Marathon, since his leg was hurting at the end. But he was really proud of his 5K time, so it was worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment