Our family

Our family

Monday, August 23, 2010

Gettin' crafty

I've been rather bitten with the craft bug for the last couple of weeks. First of all, I wanted to make little scripture cases. Our Primary has asked each kid to bring their own Book of Mormon each week, and Tyler is so young that I thought a little case would help the book survive.

But in order to do that, I needed to borrow a tool from a neighbor. I went over to borrow it for five minutes, and she was telling me about a project she wanted to work on. My husband was away at scout camp, and our kids were busy playing, so I stuck around to give her advice.

And then I did the whole project.



Well, it was a fun project. We turned a black sheet set into a cover for this little couch. Her girls (who were away at camp that week) had that couch in their room, and it needed a face lift.



Yup, ugly couch underneath. Nice black cover to match their "black and lime and blue" room.

Ta-da!

So, with that done, I could turn back to my cases.



I used her letter-cutter to make their names in leather, and then made the case. I especially liked having a fun lining.



But the best part was that all of this was from stuff I had in my basement. Total cost was $1 for the handles. That is what makes them awesome.



And the kids like them. What kid doesn't like having a little bag for treasures to carry around?



This picture is here just so I can laugh at the boots. I found these snow boots for Kaitlyn, who didn't have any last year. Not only are they second hand and a couple sizes big, the tags were still on, they had princesses on them, and they light up. I couldn't have designed them better if I tried. Kaitlyn decided she needed to wear them every chance she got.

Next, I turned to the play house I bought almost a year ago. It still isn't quite done, but it is almost there now. I found out that the frame is actually Pottery Barn, which means getting the official cover for it is out of anyone's price range. Boo.


And then, last week, I was getting fabric for curtains and decided to make Kaitlyn some wings. She had taken a blanket that I stiched around the edges of, pulled two parts of the stitching out, and then would put those loops around her wrists and declare herself a butterfly. Not happy with the cutting-off-circulation part of that, I figured I should make her some wings. I loved that the fabric had a scalloped edge (for curtains), because that made a fun bottom edge.



But then, I made it while she was napping, and used Tyler as my model so she could grow into them a bit. And he LOVED the girly wings, running all around the room and shouting "Super to the rescue!". So then my dad made him a cape as well. Oh, and he never takes that construction hat off. So it's Super Bob the Builder.

Oh, and I also made a curtain for the cabin. And the rod to hang it on. And a vinyl quote on a board for the cabin. None of which I took pictures of while I was there.

I really do like these little projects! Making them without patterns or guidance helps keep my brain alive a tiny bit.

No comments: