Our family

Our family

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Well, that was odd.

One of the reasons Christopher cited for why we "needed" to get TV signal at our cabin was that he wanted to watch LDS General Conference up there.  (The other one was BYU sports.)  I wasn't really sure why this appealed to him, but we headed up for the weekend anyway.  And the weather was certainly odd.

First up is the picture sure to nominate me for some "Mother of the Year" award.


Yup.  That's my daughter, with no pants or socks, and that's 3 feet of snow behind her.  But for the record, it was 60 degrees outside when this shot was taken.  We thought that we would be able to drive the truck up for sure with that warm weather, but lo and behold it was still snomobile only.  Our deck was bone dry, and it felt wonderful outside, but the snow just sat there. 

So how did this picture happen?  Well, while we were watching conference downstairs, the kids were playing upstairs.  When Daddy went to check on them, Kaitlyn had taken off her pants, put on snow pants, snow boots, and her jacket, and gone outside.  On her own.  Tyler had followed her in his socks and jeans.  So Daddy got them off the deck and back inside, and made Kaitlyn take off the snow gear.  I guess she didn't see any reason to put her jeans back on though.  And later, when Daddy went out to grill dinner, she followed him out.  And then I laughed, took a picture, and tried to come up with a reason why this was not okay.

Then Daddy snowmobiled out to go and watch the Priesthood session.  I taught the kids one of my favorite childhood games while he was gone.  Avalanche!  Seriously, I wish they still made this game, because I have great memories of playing this at my Grandma's house.  Instead, I just got one off Ebay. 

On a sidenote, games have been a new victory in our house.  This might sound silly, but . . . I honestly hadn't even thought of trying to play board games with my kids yet!  I had no idea they were grown up enough to take turns and learn the rules of a game.  But Tyler's teacher taught them to play Memory!  It took her months.  It might not sound like much for most kids, but for them, it was impressive.  They learned to flip over two and only two cards, keep them if they match, flip them back over if they don't, and wait until it was their turn to try again.  So we play Memory at home now, and both kids love it.  So I dug out a shapes and colors Bingo game - no problem.  With Avalanche, I had to adapt the rules to make it a bit simpler, but they loved putting the marbles in and seeing how many they could get to fall all the way down! 


Anyway, by the time Daddy came back up, it was pouring rain.  I felt rather bad actually - he only had to go one mile, but he was soaked all the way through by the time he made it up to us. 

And the next morning, we woke up to this.



About a foot had fallen overnight, and it was still below freezing when we left.  It was so crazy!  Beautiful, but still odd.





What a beautiful weekend!

No comments: