First of all, I want to thank all of you for all your wonderful comments on my last post, either in the comment section or in person. It looks like I am certainly not alone in many respects! You guys are so sweet, and appreciate your votes of confidence. Things are going well in that department. I think I am just about out of the nausea stage - something I had actually never experienced before. The part that always gets me is the irrational exhaustion of the first trimester. My husband has been working out an hour or more a day, putting in a full day at work, and sometimes coming home to a mess because I was too tired to get off the couch the whole afternoon. And then he will stay up an hour or two later than me every night. It would be funny, except my house is a mess.
In the meantime, we have been cramming a few last things into our summer lately. School started for everyone else this week - but Kindergarteners start a week late, so we had one last chance. But first, a picture or two from a while ago. We went to a wedding for Christopher's cousin up in Idaho, and I didn't have my camera with me for the reception. But I had to post a couple of these pictures, despite the terrible, iPhone quality.
Kaitlyn made friends with Christine when we went to Lagoon, and I think it only took her a couple of seconds to remember her when they saw each other again. Christine is such a sweetheart. She spent the whole day letting Kaitlyn doddle on her notebook and tell her stories, and then when she caught the bouquet she gave it to Kaitlyn (who refused to set it down the rest of the night). And since there was dancing that night at the reception, Kaitlyn ditched her shrug and shoes and spend the rest of the night prancing with her best friend.
So cute. Anyway, we had a ward swim party one week, and a company swim party the next week, both of which the kids enjoyed until we got kicked out at 10pm. In fact, we were out so late the second time that we missed Daddy running a half marathon the next morning, since he was basically done by the time the kids woke up and the race was 45 minutes away. I still feel guilty about that. But we did get to go to an awesome birthday party for Christopher's cousin's son. They had it at Thanksgiving point and when she said it was cowboy themed, I figured we would give the old costumes one last go. "I am WOODY!"
Kaitlyn wasn't entirely sure about the pony eating from her hand, but Tyler must have done five or six handfuls. He thought that was awesome.
And of course, the pony rides are always a huge hit. We were hoping Kaitlyn would raise her hat in a "Yee-haw!" like she did on the carousel, but she was much too serious about this task.
This was my Photoshop fun picture for the day. Christopher wanted to know why it is all faded, but that's how all Old West photos are, silly!
After pizza, a pinata, and cake, it was time for the water fight. Here is Kaitlyn, running around shooting other people - and Tyler, seeing what sort of designs he could make on the concrete.
This week we had a very special treat. One of my brothers came to visit! Well, really, he came to visit our Grandfather in Salt Lake, who keeps bouncing back from illness but at 96 really won't last much longer. But we got to have them up at our cabin for the last day or so they were in town. Unfortunately, it was pretty hot even at the cabin, the bugs were out, and their family is "city folk" as Kathy put it. Mostly they panicked at the bugs and spent the day down in the cool basement. But Kaitlyn was sure happy to have a new friend. Megan, despite being a head taller than her, is only 5 months older. So they had a blast with the water balloons, or chasing each other around, or playing "house" upstairs.
And there weren't many bugs out once the breeze picked up in the evening, so we had a great campfire.
These girls were so cute on the swing!
Another thing on my "to-do" list was helping out Christopher's sister with some family pictures. They didn't want any fancy outfits or studio shots, but they wanted to get a picture while Christian's twin girls were in town (they live overseas with Mom the rest of the year). Their littlest one is notorious for not paying any attention in pictures, and Kathy has an amazing talent for having her eyes shut in every picture ever taken of her. But we actually got this shot - on my second try! They didn't care that there are fruit snacks in the shot - everyone is smiling, and that is what counted. I still don't think I will ever do portraits for people professionally, but it was fun to play around with it all morning and get pictures of each of them.
And then today, Christopher pulled off a major feat. This triathalon was a half-IronMan distance one. That means he swam 1.2 miles, biked 56 miles, and then finished it off with a half-Marathon. Each segment blows my mind. I mean, who measures a swim in miles? Most people swim a few hundred meters for a workout! It took him just about 6 hours to complete this task, and while I don't think he was thrilled with the time (the bike felt great, so he pushed it a little, and then ended up walking quite a bit of the run), today he was just proud of himself for finishing the beast.
Of course, I once again missed him on the bike, and then every single picture I took of him running was out of focus. Seriously, camera, we don't get many shots at this, so if you could not focus on the car behind him, that would be helpful. But I am posting this last one anyway.
I have always seen people run with their kids into the finish line, and Christopher usually isn't up for that because he tries to leave a little umph and "finish strong" - much faster than toddlers. But when I saw how dead he was halfway through the run, I figured a few extra seconds would be okay today. Both Tyler and Daddy were ecstatic to have a running mate at the end. If there wasn't a bright, in-focus orange pole in the way, this would be one of my favorite shots ever.
And now, time to start school! Tyler starts on Tuesday (bus comes at 7:45am!), and then Kaitlyn will start after Labor Day.









No comments:
Post a Comment