Our family

Our family

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Craft Day!

I decided it is time for another craft day.  I've hosted "bow parties" before, where anyone could come and work on making hairbows (for little girls or yourself).  This time I wanted to try something a bit different, however.  I have seen people on crafty blogs talk about "crafter meet-ups", and thought maybe I would give that a shot.

What that means is that the event is open to . . . whatever.  I have a couple of ideas of projects, and if you want to try either of those I would love to help.  Or you could come make hairbows, if you have wanted to make it to a bow party before and not had the chance.  In fact, if you have any random craft or sewing project kicking around your house that you have been meaning to finish for a long time, bring it along and get it done!  It is always more fun when you have another person to discuss fabric choices or design ideas with.  Bring your unfinished scrapbook, the skirt you have been meaning to hem for a year now, or whatever you have kicking around your house.

Heck, even if you don't like crafting, feel free to come over and hang out with us.  I just wanted to throw a party.  Why?  Because, as Rapunzel told Maximus in "Tangled", "it's also my birthday"! I couldn't picture an  evening birthday party, but I wanted to do something fun on my 30th birthday!  Since I'm fairly certain few people actually read my blog, if you are reading this, that makes you my friend.  Which makes you invited.  (And if you live out of state, that makes me sad.)

WHEN: January 27th, 10am - 2pm, come and go as needed
WHO: Anyone who wants to come and hang out - with or without a craft!
WHAT to bring: supplies for your craft (though I have a lot of supplies too) and perhaps a snack or treat to share (I'll have some of those too)
WHERE: my house

If you want to make something but don't know what, here are some of my recent favorite projects.

First up, and most universally loved - the crayon fold up.


Basically, I made a pocket for a pad of paper on one side, and little slots for each crayon on the other.  I have made three of these now, and these truly are EASY to make.  You can make them for any gender by changing out the fabric you use, and make them out of any scraps of fabric you have kicking around.  I keep one in my purse at all times, and pull it out whenever we get to a restaurant or waiting room.  Once, I even made a "handy dandy notebook" look-alike for a nephew who loves Blue's Clues.


If you come with just bits of fabric, you would be well on your way by the time you left if not done - if you cut out the parts before you come, you would be totally done.  (That's allowing for chit-chat time.  I'm pretty sure I could make one in an hour if I was home with no distractions.) 

This little version uses notepads that I get in endless supply from PG Printers in downtown Pleasant Grove.  He sells the pads for 50 cents each, and only 1/4 of a pad fits in the fold up at once.  Another variation is one that my mom got at a craft show which is actually a bag that holds a regular coloring book, and the crayons tuck on the outside.  Also an easy project, and great gift for basically any kid from 1-7 years old (or mom!).


Second option: the see-through toy bag.

Once again, this is an easy project anyone could make.  There is one slightly tricky seam where the bottom circle joins the flat sides, and the rest is cake.  And the time is the same as the fold up - if you cut before you come, you would be done when you left for sure.  My last one took an hour and a half to make from start to finish.  I have enough of the clear vinyl for about 3-4 more bags, so let me know if you want some of mine.  The vinyl was only $4 a yard and 50% off at JoAnns last time I was there. 


So if you have any spare time next Friday, come on over!  Feel free to RSVP or ask questions in the comments, or just show up if you find yourself with a half an hour and nothing to do.



In case you want to make either of the above options, here are your supplies:
For the crayon fold up, you need about 12" of "handle" (which can be sturdy ribbon), and a small square of velcro.  The outside cover and inside background should each be cut to 12" by 6.5", the paper pocket is 9" by 6.5" (you fold it in half before sewing it in), and the crayon pocket is 6" by 6.5" (also to be folded).  You will probably also want something to put on the outside cover for decoration - flower, iron on patch, felt to cut an initial out, etc.

For the fabric toy bag, see here for supply list.

2 comments:

Merfy said...

I'm there, not sure what I am doing yet, but I am there!

So much Love! said...

Goodness, just catching up on blogs after all the kids nasty colds and sad to notice I missed this big party. HOpe it was fun