Our family

Our family

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Adventures of Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn has been cracking us up a lot lately.

Last Saturday was the annual Fireman breakfast, where our city fireman cook a meal for the whole town as a fundraiser.  It is one of our favorite events every year.  Not only is our neighbor across the street the fire chief, but  . . . well, Tyler likes big breakfasts.


And all the firefighters loved their hats.


Do you like how Jasmine got stuck in the bottom of that picture?  I took a couple of the kids checking out the fire truck before it occurred to me that I should make it look like I have three kids and not just two.  The big kids really like the trucks though.

And for about three days afterward, Kaitlyn asked if we could go to the fire house for lunch.  And when that didn't work out, she asked if we could go for dinner.  Every single day.

Sigh.

After the fire station, we went to the farm country tor the Sheep and Wool festival, where the kids saw a sheep get his "haircut" and learned how that turns into clothes.  Pretty cool.


But the really fun event was the end-of-the-year concert for Kaitlyn's preschool.


The program was basically the kids singing a half a dozen songs that they learned.  And what I learned is that my daughter knew all the words, sings very loudly, and is apparently tone deaf.  Daddy and I were laughing nearly the whole time.  So cute though!


Here are a couple of Kaitlyn's new friends this year.  Slowly these girls all started going to each other's houses after school for one reason or another, and then they started requesting it more and more often.  By the end of the year, it was a daily surprise on whose house they decided they were ALL going to that day.  We moms tried to coordinate it, but mostly just had to laugh.  It is pretty hard to explain to a four year old why you can't just invite yourself to someone's house, or invite your friends over on a day that mom had other plans, but we all tried really hard.

I had Kaitlyn pose next to her "All About Me" poster before we left.  She decided her favorite place was "the place with lots and lots of flowers", which surprised me.  But the one that made me laugh was the "If I Could Have One Wish . . .".  Kaitlyn has decided she wants a "fin like Ariel".  Which I find ironic, because the entire plot of the movie is Ariel trying to get rid of her tail!


This morning she was so excited because they were all coming in their swimsuits for preschool and going to run in the sprinklers.  And then she told me about how some kids get to take their lunches to school, and how she wanted to bring a lunch to school.  No, dear, your school is over at 11:30, you aren't old enough to take a lunch.  She was quite insistent, but I talked her out of it.

And then when I picked her up, she told me happily about all the food everybody shared out of their lunches.  Because she was the only one whose mom didn't pack her a lunch like the email said to.

And I would have fixed my error and fed her lunch, but the girls had all invited themselves to Grace's house, so Jasmine and I just walked home alone.

After Tyler and Kaitlyn got home, we went on a Wal-Mart run.  Tyler needed a belt, so we went to pick one out, and Kaitlyn insisted she needed a belt too.  I told her she didn't, and while I focused on picking one out for Tyler, she pulled down 4 more sparkly pink and silver belts.



When I told her no again, she started breaking into sobs, telling me that (and I quote) "if I don't have these belts, then I can't have my Rock N' Roll party on Thursday!"

Say what?

I don't know who taught her the words "Rock N Roll", but it was today's catchphrase.  When I asked her later who she wanted to invite to this mysterious party (scared she had already invited people), she said that she wanted to invite "anyone that has running shoes."   And then told me she had to go practice running for the race that was part of her ballet show she was going to put on.

Four is such an awesome age.

No comments: