Our family

Our family

Monday, January 28, 2013

A better birthday than most

I have this birthday curse that occasionally rears its ugly head.  Back when I was single, I had more than one boyfriend that broke up with me between my birthday and Valentine's day.  I can list of numerous birthday party attempts that have gone quite badly.  My poor husband thought he would break the trend by proposing on my birthday, and that night didn't go very smoothly either.  Last year was I think one of my worst, mainly because I had hoped to do something special for my 30th and it went even worse than normal.

But you know what?  This birthday turned out okay!  Not perfect, but close.  A good friend threw a group party on Friday, and I had a bad couple of days before that so I wasn't the best guest that day. I'm just glad I have good friends that understand.  And thankfully I was back to my normal self by the weekend.

The highlight, for me, was Saturday night.  Christopher was gone on a scout trip the night before, so when we talked about schedule, that was our option for a date night.  Now, Christopher isn't much into planning things out.  Usually when we pick a date night, I arrange the sitter, and then when I ask him what we are doing, he says "I don't know, what do you feel like?"  This time I reminded him that it was our turn to go out and have our friends watch our kids (we swap occasionally), so maybe he could call his friend and see if they were home that night.  And then when I followed up, he wouldn't tell me anything else.

So we came to drop off the kids and I started to show my friend the contents of the diaper bag, Christopher grinned and corrected me.  He had arranged a girls night instead, and got us all tickets to see Les Miserables together.  So the three guys stuck around with eight kids while we headed off to dinner!  And I gotta say, it was wonderful.  We loved the movie, and Jasmine was even a happy little camper for him the whole time.  To top it off, Christopher had bought extremely awesome cakes earlier in the day and dropped them off at the friend's house so I wouldn't see them!


I always love a good carrot cake, but the lemon was surprisingly awesome and Christopher said the chocolate was the best cake he had ever had.  The best part of the evening, to me, was just knowing that my husband had actually planned out so much behind my back, because that is SO not like him!  Major brownie points for him that day.

The next day was Sunday, so we couldn't do much on my actual birthday itself.  For dinner, I thought I would try a recipe I saved a couple of years ago.  The Monte Cristo Sandwich.


I can only think of three places that you can purchase this sandwich, but the most famous is in the Blue Bayou restaurant in the Pirates ride at Disneyland.  And let me tell you, there isn't a redeemingly healthy ingredient in this fabulous sandwich.  It is ham, turkey and melty cheese on white bread, dipped in batter and deep fried, and then topped with powdered sugar and blackberry jam.  It is my all time favorite calorie splurge, and the homemade version lived up to the fancy version quite nicely.

Last year, one of the parts that went wrong was when I headed out on a date with my husband, and Kaitlyn cried because she wanted to come to my birthday party.  So this year we made sure to have a separate family event.  Bowling!


Unfortunately, it was league bowling night, so I couldn't use my flash that would startle them too much.  So my pictures are really grainy.  And I had another hilariously bad night of trying to hit pins.  But that didn't matter.  We had fun!


On a whim, we had Kaitlyn try and roll the ball down without the ramp once.  It made it halfway and lost any momentum!

I loved watching Tyler try to mimic our handgrip as he took his ball over to the kiddie ramp.


And this girl has been so fun lately.  She suddenly started imitating us all day!  A couple of days ago she was still doing her own thing all day, and then she started waving her arm around whenever we said "hi" to her.  Now she claps when we cheer for her, picks up the phone and jabbers, wiggles the computer mouse around, points the remote at the TV, and she even tried to brush my hair the other day.


That's what made this a great birthday: having such a great little family!

2 comments:

Than and Erica said...

Happy birthday!!! Birthdays are supposed to be awesome so I'm glad you had a good one.

Karen Brothersen said...

Im glad you had a great day! You so deserved it!