Our family

Our family

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sweet baby Jasmine

I can't believe how big my little baby is getting!


When Tyler and Kaitlyn turned one, it just so happened that my parents were in town each time.  So we threw a party so that my mom's family could come down from Salt Lake and see them, and had some birthday cake while we were at it.  But this time around I just couldn't see the logic in a party.  One-year-olds don't really get anything out of that.  I couldn't just do nothing for her birthday though!  So, thanks to Pinterest, I came up with a new plan.


The cake smash photo shoot.  Sure, letting a one year old attack their birthday cake with both hands is nothing new.  In fact, I've even got pictures of my first birthday, eating the candle off of my cake.


I found one photographer on Pinterest that tried to claim that she invented the cake smash photo shoot ten years ago when her daughter was a baby.  Suuure.  She did have really cute ideas, though, and I got a lot of great tips from what I found online.


Prepare for the picture overload!

Basically, I took a couple of "before" shots, set the cake down, and before I could stand up and aim the camera, she had two fistfuls of frosting.


 The funny part was that she spent the next ten minutes on those two fistfuls.


And this was serious business.  We all spent a lot of energy trying to get her to smile, because all she wanted to do was sit there and slowly lick it off.


She did offer to give us some, which was nice of her.


And eventually she got a bit more into it.


One thing I didn't see online but wanted to try was involve the siblings.  So I ordered a matching cake and had Tyler and Kaitlyn join her.  Jasmine immediately decided that their cake looked better than hers.  Quick, she's distracted!


In fact, she was so in love that she crawled over her own cake (tutu and all) to get to Kaitlyn's small piece.


Here you can see my set up.  I got some bulletin board paper from the school supply store, cut spare scrapbooking paper up into some bunting, and made a floofy tutu for her to wear.


She tried to steal some of Tyler's cake too.  He adores that baby to pieces,  but he was not about to let her take his cake.



And of course, eventually she was entirely coated in frosting.  She also made it her mission to yank off her hairbow, so that was coated in purple frosting and eventually tossed to the side.  It was a lot of fun!

Presents were also interesting later, but not quite as much.



And because I love comparison pictures so much, I dug out the pictures from Tyler and Kaitlyn's birthday cake.


It cracks me up to look at Kaitlyn's tiny stick arms, especially since they are wearing the same shirt!

And of course, my favorite part of my birthday posts.  The snapshot:

*When Jasmine refused to come on Leap Day last year and decided within weeks that she didn't care for being cuddled either, I thought we might be in for a stubborn little girl.  And while we'll probably hit a stage or two of that later, I think she is much more like my mellow Tyler.  She lets us know when things are not going her way, but she mostly is just happy to mosey along and take things at her own pace.  She wasn't in a big hurry to hit milestones like crawling or walking, though she did take four wobbly steps on her birthday!
* She eats most of her food by grabbing it off her tray, though occasionally she'll let me spoon feed her.  Her favorite is blueberries!  She usually tries to eat an entire carton in one sitting.  Of course, the biggest difference from her big siblings is that she still LOVES to nurse.  I'm used to my babies being done about now, but this girl still takes all she can get.  While that has been great for my waistline, to be honest I'm looking forward to some detachment someday.  I'm not going to force it though.
*Currently, she doesn't have any consistent words, though she loves to babble.  She also loves to wave to us, give high fives, and she tries to imitate lots of our silly antics.  She's been imitating the more mundane things too, like picking up a hairbrush and trying to brush my hair, trying to use the remote, and babbling with a phone at her ear.  Oh, and she doesn't like being kissed or snuggled much, but she does kiss me sometimes.  With her mouth wide open and a little tongue sticking out.  When I try to turn so she kisses my cheek, she hunts around until she finds my mouth.  Um, at least the sentiment is nice?  She is sure proud of herself when she does it!
*Tyler is still her biggest fan in the world.  Lately he has taken to picking her up and carrying her around the house, which we protested until we saw how much Jasmine loves it.  She just laughs and laughs!

Overall, she really has been a sweet little girl.  I'm not going to lie, having a baby in the house again has been an adjustment, and it hasn't always been easy.  But she has been a wonderful addition to our little family, so I can't complain!

1 comment:

Karen Brothersen said...

She is a complete doll! And you took some really great pics!