Our family

Our family

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day trip

When my mom first told me that she was going to fly out and see us for Mother's Day again, I started plotting.  I have three brothers in Las Vegas, but Mom wasn't planning on driving down to see them this trip. So I talked to them about meeting up in St. George and having a fun weekend there as a surprise for her.  But then Christopher mentioned that he was signed up for another tech conference down in Vegas . . . the same week.  So we ditched the idea of meeting in the middle and just told my mom to plan on the full trip.

One of the funniest moments of the trip is one that I (thankfully) have no pictures of.  Sorry, this story is long, but we couldn't stop laughing for days!  Jasmine was being pretty fussy on the way down, and when I noticed that it smelled like time to change her diaper we pulled over at a rest stop a mile down the road.  But when I carried her into the restroom and took off her dress, I found out that the problem was much bigger than I thought.

It was coming up the front and back, out the sides- you get the picture.

So I stripped the icky outfit off and wiped her down as best I could, but this was beyond wet wipes.  So when my mom decided to wander in the ladies room, she found me with a naked baby in the sink, bathing a screaming girl with the cold water that trickled out of the faucet.

I was pretty glad to see her.

So my mom headed back to get a new outfit, and once I had the baby clean, I realized I had another problem: there were no paper towels.  Just air dryers.  So . . . I stuck my angry baby's bum under the air dryer to get her at least moderately dry before I put the diaper back on her.

With a sigh of relief, I went back to the changing area to put back together my clean baby.  But then I found out that the diaper I brought out with me had been in the same hand as the baby while I carried her inside, so it was covered as well.

And while I stared at the diaper, wondering what to do next, the baby peed all over herself.

Thank heavens my mom brought the whole suitcase in with her, so we pulled out a new diaper, re-wiped down the baby, and my mom focused on getting the worst of it off the outfit while I dressed the baby.

And then, in walked two entire tour buses of Asian women.  I don't even know what language they were speaking, but wrinkling your nose while you try to fan the smell away from you is pretty universal.  Seriously, it was funny up until that point, but when we were suddenly surrounded by hordes of women speaking a different language I felt like I was in a comedy sketch.

Anyway, we finally made it to Vegas, no thanks to the baby!  And prepare for a picture overload, because we had a really great time!


Jasmine only yesterday started to sign back at us.  Until then, she had her own personal "sign" - a pair of upside-down fists.  She would make an intense face and say "ah-ju-JU-JU-JU" and laugh hysterically if we did it back to her.  I guess it meant she liked the Philippino food we went out for one night?

And then Friday night was the family party.  I love this shot - the older three cousins are a couple of months apart, and then the younger two girls are a few months apart as well.  They taught the little ones how to play four square.


Jasmine wanted to play too, so they gave her a ball.  Of course, she mostly wanted whichever ball they were using, so I had to take her inside fairly quickly.


And then, as always, Kaitlyn tried to arrange a "show". The only difference was that this time it actually happened!  She made the table into a stage, and announced the program to her audience.


And then she and Megan would argue over whose turn was next.


And then there was dancing!


Tyler came up to dance too!  (Someday I will get pants that stay on that kid, I swear.)


Kaitlyn really liked having an audience.


And then they told the audience to join in.  Dance party!


And somehow, somebody mentioned the Harlem Shake.  I have no idea how, but my brother Gary (seen above) managed to convince everyone to make the video, and set himself up as the videographer.




I was really, truly amazed at the sheer number of costumes they pulled out of nowhere in that house!  And here is it, the masterpiece.  (I'm number 16 if you can't find me.  And Christopher has a blue plaid shirt entering from the right side.)


My mom is up to 14 grandchildren, and we got a picture with as many as we could.  Too bad Jasmine had already gone to sleep for the night!


 It really was a fun night.

The next day we woke up early to go see a soccer game.  Well, we were late because Tyler slept in, but I'm glad we got to see as much as we did.



Seriously, my nieces and nephews are getting huge.  As in, almost six feet tall for many of them.  With driver's permits and everything.  It just astounds me.

My mom got to go to the high school concert that night for one of them, but the tickets were expensive and my kids are little.  Thankfully, we weren't the only ones not going, so we went over to Gary's house to play in their pool.  We were sad that we won't visit their house again though, since they are moving to Denver.  Not too much further away, but still sad to us.



We brought a little float for Jasmine to hang out in, and she did love that for a while.  But her favorite was hanging out on a large "shelf" with a few inches of water and her cousin Maya to play with.  I actually have a quite a few pictures of them together because it was just so adorable.  And then when she was done swimming, Jasmine just climbed out and wandered over to the shady couch.  Where Uncle Mike gave her an oreo.


So, needless to say, Jasmine had a great day.

And Tyler was a pretty happy guy too.  Last time we went swimming, Daddy tried to get him to test out the hot tub, but he was quite firm that "I do not want the hot water.  I like the cold water!" and wouldn't set more than one toe in.  But Gary had both set to the same temperature.  Since Tyler went in the "hot" tub first, and it was alright, he figured that made the other one the evil hot tub.  We spent a few minutes trying to convince him to come to the big pool, but eventually Daddy had to throw him in!  And even then, he panicked and told us he wanted to go to the "uh-ger" pool.

But we eventually gave him enough noodles that he decided to stay.


Skeptically.


 Underwater camera time!


Christopher and Maya spent a lot of time practicing and a few missed shots before we finally got "the Little Mermaid trick".  So funny.



And, of course, the rest of the time was spent goofing off!



Hmm, what else did we do?

Jasmine loved hanging out outside, chasing the doggies, and just exploring some new territory.


Oh, and brushing her sister's hair.


 And we ended the trip with a Mother's Day breakfast.  I wish I had gotten a good picture of the event, because everyone went all out!  Sydney woke up at the crack of dawn to decorate a table for all of the mothers with ribbons and balloons and flowers.  My brother Scot made us a gourmet meal with overnight french toast and coffee cake, and Maya doubled the batch of my kids' favorite banana pancakes.  It was just wonderful.


I think this pictures was about a minute before Jasmine flung that coffee cake into my mom's glass of milk.

We really did love our trip down there!  The only downside is that Jasmine screamed pretty much the entire way back.  She was just entirely sick of her car seat, and she couldn't get a true nap with all of us right there, so we all had to pay the price.  It is making us re-think any future trips with that girl for the time being.  That part wasn't the highlight of my Mother's Day.  I think the main highlight was spending it with my mom in the first place!

No comments: