Our family

Our family

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Skipping around

I seem to do better with a schedule to follow in my life.  I think this is just the way it is for me.  When I know what to do and when, I get it done in order.  And when I end up trying to make decisions and find my own path, things end up wandering off on me.

As my first example: in all of the summer stuff, I totally forgot to pull the pictures of Kaitlyn's graduation off my camera.  I swear, it happened, and it was cute!  And it happened before almost anything in the last post.  Sigh.


Grandma was still here for the event, even!  (And from the looks of this picture, it's a good thing we had her so someone was paying attention to their songs.)





My favorite part of the show was when they marched out in their caps, because Miss Melva taught them to do a slow "step, together, step, together" and they were hilariously focused on that task.


Such fun friends.

Oh, and when I found those pictures, I found this one too.


A local store has Pottery Barn castoffs, where they send things that got embroidered with names that I just take off.  Usually it means that I get quality stuff rather cheap.  But this adorable, soft rocking bunny was still $45.  On clearance with a name on the side!  Jasmine adored it and didn't want to get off, but . . . there is no way I could justify that much for a toy she will outgrow soon!  Let alone the $145 a new one would cost.  We do visit it every time we shop there now, though.

Anyway, Kaitlyn also had her end of the year gymnastics show.


She was rather disappointed that I ran out of time to put on makeup (since that is what she got to do for the ballet show last year), but getting a medal made up for it big time.

And I would show you more pictures, but I only took video.  On the camera that had so little battery that I had to find a plug and keep it charging in between her "events".  Here's the balance beam video, so you can get an idea.  She's not amazing at it, but that tiny little girl has worked hard and improved this year, and that's all we ask.  I'll be honest, I couldn't do the tumbling or bar stuff she does!

The biggest and most frustrating evidence of my indecision has been our poor cabin.  This week was scheduled to be painting week.  I was going to spend the entire week there painting, and I was hoping to get a good portion of it done all by myself.  But when we picked out colors and got to work, I . . . didn't like either color.  So we have slowly turned the front of the house into a patchwork of colors.

See, years ago, Christopher saw this house in Midway.



He loved the color scheme so much that we had to stop, go back, and take a picture of it.  So, in an effort to recreate that brown, red and white trim look, he picked out a red.  And I picked out a brown.


But the first brown was too yellow, the second one was too pink/grey, and finally we liked the third one.  (That's left to right in the picture.)  Since I made such a fuss about the brown (Christopher was getting really sick of all the changes), I didn't want to put up a fuss on the red, so I spent an entire day painting the eaves over the deck.

And then I stepped back at 4pm, when the afternoon sun was on it, and had a heart attack.


I don't know if this picture fully gets it across, but the word that came to mind in person was fuscia.  Purpley, pink, fuscia.  Ohhhhhh, no.

We've had a few . . . discussions about it since then, and I told him we will test out one more red tonight, and if that doesn't work, we are going right back to the green that I have always liked.  I mean, I wouldn't paint our house with green trim, but I think it suits the cabin just great.  We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, we are also trying to sort out what to do with the trim.  They were obviously going for a Midway "Swiss chalet" look, which neither of us care for.  But if we took off that trim, we would have a big mess underneath, so Christopher assures me it is staying.  I thought that by painting it the background color, you wouldn't notice it, but I don't think it helped.


Ugh.  We'll probably have to paint it the trim color all over again.  And at this point, the entire painting week has been wasted as he made trip after trip to get a new paint color each day.

I hate decisions.

No comments: