Our family

Our family

Thursday, August 29, 2013

A new school year

This year Tyler started Second Grade.


I had him hold up two fingers for his grade, and then the rest of the morning he would whip up a peace sign every time I aimed the camera at him.  Daddy thought that was funny.


Tyler is at the same school as last year, and I have to admit I have my concerns.  (Don't I always?  Isn't that my job as a mom?)  He has an aide that had him last year, and she was near tears she was so excited to have Tyler back.  And she said that the new teacher is just wonderful, so I don't think I have many concerns there.  But the school district cut all of the hours for the aides to avoid paying them health benefits.  So instead of 4 aides there the entire day helping out, his classroom has three aides that are there 4-5 hours a day overlapping.  When Ricky was cheerfully telling us about the classroom, she said "oh, we are going to have a - " and stopped short before she said "wonderful class".  "Well, I'm not going to lie," she finished, reading the names on the board.  "It's about half and half.  Some of those kiddos are strugglers."  When the average kid in your class has trouble verbalizing and writing their own name, struggling kids most likely means prone to fleeing when they can, and acting upset to an almost violent amount when their sensory and frustrations levels rise.  So they have a rough class to tame and no help to do it with?  Awesome.  I just hope that Tyler, my wheel that never squeaks, gets the help he needs.  We're looking into what options we have in the meantime as well.  I love these public educators, and I just wish they could get paid so they could do their job.

A week later, Kaitlyn headed into her brave new world.  Kindergarten!


She was so excited.  And her teacher is fantastic!  She unfortunately doesn't have any friends in this class, since all her neighborhood friends are either at homeschool or a charter school, but I'm not too concerned.  Kaitlyn will make friends wherever she goes.



So far she has been loving it.  She is already reading books and I taught her to add and subtract, so I think she'll be just fine picking up other skills this year.  I know a lot of moms who struggle with losing their kids for so long every day, but I gotta say we were ready.  She needed some more time with friends her age, and already I have noticed that our talks when she gets home are better because she has gotten the "silly play time with little kids" need out of her system and is ready to read books and chat about her day better with me.  She's a pretty awesome little girl, I have to say!

No comments: