Our family

Our family

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Luckiest little girl

Last Saturday, we were about to head out on a bike ride.  That is amazing enough, for February.  The weather lately has actually been in the 60's on occasion, so we are trying to take advantage while we can!

While Daddy was getting a tire pumped up and ready to go, a neighbor called and said that their daughter was done with her old Easy Bake Oven.  "Would Kaitlyn like it?"  That was a big yes.  In fact, I just sent Kaitlyn down the street to pick up her surprise without telling her what she was bringing back.  Those things are hilarious- the cake that she made with that light bulb was not totally edible in my book, but the girls had a blast trying out the fondant tools.

And then, the very next day, another friend told me she had something Kaitlyn might like.  She was going to post it for sale for $10, but asked me first if I wanted it.


The Hello Kitty line from Janome has always made me laugh.  They have a $30 one for sale in Jo-Anns that Kaitlyn asks for every time she sees it (and which I wouldn't trust to last five minutes).  But they range up to $500 machines with Hello Kitty still all over it.  This one was a mid-range one, and has fantastic reviews.  Of course, I snatched it from her before I even found that out.  Kaitlyn is on my sewing machine constantly now, so of course I was buying this little one.

As I headed home with the new purchase, I couldn't even decide what else to do.  She just barely had her birthday, with the usual new stash of toys.  This was a big gift to just show up with randomly, but I couldn't wait until next Christmas or Birthday to give it to her.  All I could do was come home and hold it up, watching her eyes go big.  She wanted to take it out of the box and sew with it immediately.


While still wearing the Elsa costume, clearly.

I can't remember exactly what Daddy said (after he picked his jaw off the floor), but it was something like "can you wish for a new four-wheeler next?  I'd like one of those to just show up too, please."

And then today, we got to go ice skating again.


She has been looking forward to that forever.  I wish that the rink was closer to us. And that the $3 kiddie rink time wasn't during school hours.  I am tempted to put her in lessons someday, but we'll see.


She had to re-figure it out a bit, and then by the end she was just about faster than me.  When I showed her that someone had left behind their "walker", she decided to use that to try out tricks.


The arabesque turned out to be very tricky, but she managed it a few times.


Neither of us had a clue how to skate backwards.  I just don't know where to put my weight.  She made it a few feet, but it wasn't easy!  She just is naturally pretty good at figuring things out, though.

What a lucky, sweet little girl.

1 comment:

Eleno said...

I think I remember skating with you when we were kids!