I have to admit that I am still not fond of my own birthday. I actually don't care at all about getting older. In truth, it just comes down to being a socially awkward person. I get nervous about attention, I panic about people giving me presents because maybe I don't usually give them a present, etc. I've had plenty of bad luck on my birthday that makes me try to avoid it when possible. I even tried to change my birthday on Facebook to avoid all of those messages, but it turns out they won't let you!
As birthdays go, however, this one went pretty well. In my world, that means that I had a quiet day at home and got to do a few fun things with my family. The company my husband works for had a "holiday party" in Wendover the weekend before my birthday. There really is nothing in that city but gambling, but a hotel room without the kids is always a good thing. On the way home, we stopped at a warehouse clearance center and Christopher got me a very random birthday present - an inflatable hot tub was a quarter of the price is it on Amazon, so he snagged that up. I was nervous that it wouldn't be as good as we hoped, but it has actually been really nice!
We took the kids to see Big Hero 6 that night. The kids all loved it, including Jasmine, who loved every second until she fell asleep.
I have also been working a bit on what I consider a birthday present to myself. Or maybe just something that I needed to get done. For years, my spare fabric has all been stored in a broken dresser in the basement. I had to rifle through the drawers to see it all, and of course it didn't even all fit in there. So it started to get piled on top, and slowly started to take over the universe.
Not good. So I looked up fabric storage ideas, and found that a lot of people wrap the fabric around a stiff cardboard sheet designed to protect comic books and the put the mini "bolts" on a bookcase. Perfect!
I found a bookcase that I liked on a school surplus sale, and measured to make sure it would fit in the low ceiling of the basement. But unfortunately, the guy who measured the bookcase to sell it measured wrong and labeled it 85" when it was 95". Christopher was muttering angry things about that guy while we cut the top off the bookshelf and then put the top back on it, but thankfully I don't think anyone could tell. If it was summertime, I might have painted it or something, but in the winter, I have no interest in being outside longer than I have to.
Two orders of comic book cards and a few hours of folding later, I am in love!
You should have seen Christopher's face when I had to order a second 100 pack of the cards. "You have HOW much fabric?" At least I am a selective hoarder! And I do use my stash a lot. Not to mention that a good portion of what you see in that picture was given to me, or found at a garage sale.
My sewing area makes me very happy.
The day after my birthday, Christopher and I went to a concert that our friends were playing in. I love bagpipes and Celtic dancers, so it was a great concert!
Happy birthday to me!





No comments:
Post a Comment