Our family

Our family

Friday, June 20, 2008

Getting ready for Cancun

Wow, what a week! This was supposed to be just a free week to get ready, but there was just too much to get done. I don't even really have time to make this post right now, but a lot has been going on, and I won't get to a compuer until next Friday when we get back, and I will have a lot more to blog about then. If I am going to count this as keeping a journal, I better keep at it. I have had three tasks this week.

1. Make a Girls Camp Slideshow.
Every year they show a slideshow of pictures at the "camp review", which is next Wednesday. I was not there for much of camp, and I won't be there for camp review, but the most tech-savvy person in our group has a different assignment now, so I volunteered. I told everyone I had to have the pics on Sunday, and the adults followed through, and I just went with that. Monday was spent at the computer, with only the nessesary breaks to take care of my kids. I mean, I actually forgot to eat, which is not how I normally work. But I got everything done that I could do on my own on Monday, with leftovers taking me the rest of the week (gathering music, having people explain the pictures, etc). So glad that is done. Other people will be left to burn copies for everyone, but I don't feel too guilty about that.

2. Wedding time capsules
This week's activity for our girls was a Wedding timecapsule, where we had them choose their wedding dress, colors, Temple they want to get married in, number of kids they want to have, qualities they want in a husband, etc and seal it up in a food storage can. They open these time capsules when they get engaged. I wish I could be there to see the laughter when they open them up and find out what dress they picked over 10 years ago! This was one activity that just had too much prep work though. I kept thinking of more things we needed to get, more stuff I wanted to add to the decorations, and it ended up not working out nearly as planned. But the girls had a great time and made some really cute stuff, so I can't complain.

3. Getting ready for Cancun.
We leave tomorrow morning for Cancun, as another trip with Christopher's company. There is a lot to look forward to, but I have a lot of concerns as well.

We can't leave Kaitlyn behind, because she is nursing. So taking a 5 month old on a long plane ride to Mexico should be interesting. (We had to get her a passport with a baby picture. That should be hilarious if she has to used it again!) And since Tyler is old enough, he is staying with Grandma like he did when we went to Maui last October. He did great last time, so I wasn't worried. And then Christopher's sister moved in with their two toddler girls. Okay, a little more going on, but Tyler likes them, so no biggie. And then the oldest brother from Minnesota ended up moving his trip with their four kids from after we get back to arriving while we are gone. And they are all staying in that house. Now I have plenty to worry about. Of course, the sane part of me knows that he will probably just be happy to have so many cousins to play with all under one roof, but the mom part of me will worry the whole time that he will just be his quiet self and get forgotten, or that he won't get the sleep he needs because he goes to sleep hours before his cousins do and doesn't have a room to sleep in, or that his Grandma will just feed him sweets all week because she has always thought I was absurd for not giving him candy or extra dessert all the time starting when he could eat solids. That was a long sentence, sorry. But all of that keeps running through my head just that fast! He will be fine, he will be fine, (repeating it helps) he will be fine . . .

And then, of course, we have to get ready to go ourselves. Things like buying a new swimsuit for the first time since high school, etc. Like the activity, there are always things popping in your head that you need, which would be a lot easier to take care of if you don't have an infant that wants to sleep every hour and a half. Yesterday I went to my friend's house, since she is an esthetician, and she got me all waxed and ready. I mean, bikini wax, eyebrows, upper lip, and nose hairs! Ouch! It is always worth it afterward, but ouch! And I got my fake spray tan last night. I love those things. No cancer beds, just a slightly uneven base color to build on and not look like a white scary ghost. Let me know if you ever get one of those, because there are a lot of things to know as I found out the first time I tried. I ended up with awful streaks of brown running down my legs that day. This time I did much better!

And today I can just pack. As soon as I get the laundry done. And the dishes. And clean our room after packing. I think I am going crazy! But we had fun last night. I think I will make that a separate post so this one doesn't get too long, and so I can take a break and get things done. Strawberry Days post coming soon . . .

No comments: