Our family

Our family

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight and BYU football

Friday night was a lot of fun! A friend of mine is really gung-ho about the Twilight series (I like them, but don't love them), and her sister-in-law gave her 4 tickets to see the movie that they couldn't use. And so she invited me and another friend in the ward to go with her and her sister-in-law. It was so much fun to have a girl's night out! I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it that much, but it was really nice to get away from the kids for a few hours and know that Christopher was watching them, so I didn't have to worry about them with a teenage babysitter or anything. We had some adventures, of course- we went to the wrong theater, and missed the first 10 mintues of the show driving to the correct one, and then ran on empty until we could find a gas station, and find a restaurant that wasn't over-crowded to eat at, etc. But it was really nice to just hang out, and not have to be in "mother" or "wife" mode for a while.

Oh, and I did like the movie, by the way. It was WAY sappy. I mean, there are action flicks, and dramas, and romantic comedies- this was pure romance, start to finish. I thought it did justice to the book though, because the book is pure romance, start to finish. The only thing I didn't like about it was Edward. I thought that the entire cast was perfect, except I thought Edward was rather unattractive and his lips were way too red and strange. Oh well.

And then tonight we had a big BYU football party for the rivalry game. I made up invitations and gave them to some friends in the ward a couple of weeks ago, and Christopher posted one at his work and invited all of them. The funny part was that we had a great turnout- but only one person who came tonight actually got an invitation. Three of Christopher's siblings came, a few guys from work, some random friends, and two of my awesome beehives that I mentioned it to. But only one person who I delivered an invite to. I guess if I want people to come, I should NOT give them an physical invitation? LOL. It didn't matter, if anyone else had shown up we would have been out of seats. As it was, I think I counted 26 people here, which is a lot to fit in one room watching the same screen. And yet, we fit them all perfectly. I love our basement! Chris worked hard this morning building the platform extention so we had two couches in our "stadium seating" second tier. Such a good handy man!

And then the game sucked.

But I have to be an optimist, so here is why this night was still ok:
1. Anyone breaking that high into the BCS polls is good for everyone in the conference in the long run. I just keep repeating that to myself, LONG RUN.
2. Our team did well tonight. You know, the team MINUS the quarterback, who threw 5 interceptions and fumbled for a 6th turnover. I honestly think it would have been a tight game if not for that. Who knows, we might have even won it.
3. We had a fun party anyway! We had tons of great food, and everyone enjoyed coming over even if they were in rather foul spirits towards the end.
4. Speaking of food, our "best kept secret" here in PG came through again. Two years ago we discovered that Smith's, the local grocery store that no one else goes to because Macey's is cheaper and 3 blocks away, makes 3 foot party subs for $20. When you cut that into 2-3" slices that feeds a lot of people for the money! But every time we have ordered it on the day of, they don't have the 3' bread. So they give us 3, 18" subs for the same price. Sooo awesome!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I didn't like the Twilight movie. It left too much out. I know it was a long movie, but I still think that one minute Bella and Edward hated each other and then the next minute they were in love??? That was strange.

It was entertaining, but I really liked the book a lot better.

Edward was funky looking. Emmit was my favorite.

natals said...

Sounds like a fun party. Bummer the Cougs didn't pull through!!