Our family

Our family

Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween and the flu

What a weekend. I had a longer post written, and then realized I was rambling. So here is the shorter version. (My husband tells me my stories go too long . . . so I am trying to improve!)

In order, here is my Halloween:

*Got sick. Felt like not moving from couch all day.

*Got kids to nap so I could sleep. Overslept.

*Put everyone in costume, and told my friend I would meet her at a Trunk or Treat I saw in the newspaper. I thought that would be good practice for Trick or Treating that night, but not as much walking for me.

*Got stuck in traffic. Ended up so late that I missed my friend.

*Spent close to an hour in line at the Trunk or Treat. The kids were very patient though.



*Rushed home, and collapsed on couch while Christopher took Tyler out to do one street before he had to leave.

*Christopher headed off to his boss's house, since he wasn't sure if they still needed his help or not. His boss LOVES Halloween and creates a show in his front yard every year. The picture is in the local paper here.

*I headed out and did one street with the kids. I wanted to stay on the couch, but what good is creating your own costumes if you don't get to show them off? So I went to the neighbors that know us the best, and the ones that know Tyler laughed about how perfect his costume idea was.

*Then I noticed I wasn't the only one in the group sick of walking at that point. I had forgotten to empty Tyler's candy bin before we left, and he didn't like dragging this up the hill! I got a grocery sack to carry it in, and then a nice neighbor offered to drive us the rest of the way. It was really sweet.


*Since Tyler stole M&Ms on his first Halloween, I thought it would be a funny tradition to give Kaitlyn some as her first candy this time around. It was a hit. I like this tradition because the colored blotches everywhere are just adorable.






Saturday:

*Felt like I wanted to curl in a ball and die. So when Kaitlyn was ready for her first nap of the day, and Tyler was ready for breakfast, I had the worst parenting moment I think I have ever had. I put Kaitlyn down, got some dry cereal and a sippy cup of juice on the coffee table for Tyler, and then went to sleep. Not even a cat nap nearby Tyler: I went up into my bed and crashed. It occured to me later that most people set out a bowl of food for their dogs, not their toddlers, but at least I felt ready to cope with my day when I woke up.

*Spent the entire day on the couch or wishing I was on the couch. Of course, Tyler dumped flour on our front room's carpet, we ran out of bread and baby food, and when I gave up and made Kaitlyn applesauce because she was starving, she decided that she was not, under any circumstances, going to eat applesauce that day. Good thing she likes frozen waffle, or she would have starved.

*Oh, and Daddy was at Moab all day. He was the one who invited some co-workers to go down with him weeks in advance, so he couldn't ditch out and help me. I missed him. Lots.


The weirdest part is that I felt better on Sunday. And even better today. It felt like the flu, with migranes, aches everywhere, and feverish chills. But I still haven't started coughing or sneezing (knock on wood).

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh yuck, the flu is the worst. And then the flu and then having to take care of toddlers is even worse. At least you got some sleep. It's okay to put food out in a bowl!! LOL!!

I now lock my doors and windows, so the kids can't get out when i need to crash!! And normally the house is destroyed by the time I wake up!! I love boys!

Glad you are feeling better.