Our family

Our family

Monday, September 12, 2011

Boys trip

This weekend Christopher got the chance to take a bike trip with some friends down to St. George, and I have to say, I was pretty jealous.  Not that I want to be on the back of a bike for that many hours without a sissy bar, but I do love the motorcycle.  And they had a lot of fun at the condo, and biking through the Grand Canyon and Zion's.


While he was gone we did manage to find a few things to fill our time.  Unfortunately the best one was spur of the moment, so I didn't have my camera with me.  Our town does a "Heritage Festival" downtown, and it was actually pretty fun!  There was a giant teepee my kids thought was cool, and we got to use a cross-saw on a log.  Once you got your little disc cut off the log, they even branded it for you, which my kids then fought over for a while.  Tyler got to try the pie-eating contest, and given how much this kid can pack down, I thought he might have a shot.  But the 3-5 year old category involved using just your mouth to find a gummy bear in a pie tin of whipped cream.  When they said "go!", Tyler watched everyone shove their face into the whip cream with the funniest look on his face.  "You want me to . . . what?"  We didn't win, but he did eventually lick some of the whip cream.

And when I got even more restless, I decided that I needed to make Kaitlyn a bag to hold all of her ballet outfit.  I was going to go find some ballet fabric and make one from scratch, but then I remembered my stash!

Have you ever noticed how sheet sets come in a fabric bag sometimes?  Well, all I had to do was take out their pull string, put in a couple of my own and sew them to the bottom.  Ta-da!  Little girl backpack.  That . . . matches the sheets on her bed.



Obviously I spent more time on the ballet shoes, which are felt that I ironed on.  But the fact that the bag was ready to go made it worth it. I also used a smaller one that a set of pillowcases came in for an inside pocket.  Again, since the bag was already made, I just sewed the little bag to the back of her backpack at the top.  Now the shoes have their own home.


I love making things for her at this age.  I asked her if she liked it when she got to try it on, and she said "I love it!  I want to wear it ALL day!"  And then she attempted to do just that.  I have a feeling she will be rolling her eyes at me in a few years when I try and make her something, so I will savor this while it lasts!

No comments: