Our family

Our family

Friday, September 9, 2011

First day of preschool


Kaitlyn has been dreaming of this for months.  She might have some rather high expectations for preschool - for example, after seeing the high school marching band practicing, she spent extra time on her harmonica so "I can be ready for Miss Melva's marching band!"  But I think she will love anything she does get to do at school.

The irony, of course, is that I couldn't remember at the last minute when school started.  I combed my emails, but it looked like she told me the exact times in person last March when we signed up.  So we headed out a bit early, just in case it was 9:15 instead of 9:30.  When no other cars pulled up, we spent some time wandering and hanging out with a stray cat in Miss Melva's front yard.  And then my cell phone rang.  "Is Kaitlyn coming today?"  Yeah, school started at 9am.  I'm just that awesome.  Thankfully, Kaitlyn had no idea anything was amiss.  And it made me feel a little better when I took a neighbor's little girl home with me because her mom thought it ended a half an hour after it did. 

When I asked Kaitlyn afterward what they did that day, she said "I ate a chocolate donut.  And we read books.  And we played the hokey pokey!"  Miss Melva reported that Kaitlyn reminded her of an adult stuck in a child's body.  With the looks of Shirley Temple.  :)

School must have worn her out, because she had a (rare) nap that afternoon, but I think she loved every second!

No comments: