Our family

Our family

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A fun weekend

I have three brothers that live in Las Vegas.  We automatically go to see them once a year for a techie conference, but with their older kids and traveling jobs they rarely find a spare moment to come up here.  But not only did one brother come a couple of weeks ago, another one came this last weekend!  Hooray!  I was so excited to have them come to our house.

Unfortunately for this blog, I only managed to bring my camera with me for one activity.  We went disc golfing (where my sister-in-law saw a snake that scared her pretty good), we ate at Chick-fil-A (which is my mostly vegetarian brother's favorite restaurant in the whole world, go figure), we ate a bucket of popcorn while watching Winne the Pooh, and we had a blast at the cabin for a day or so before they headed home.  But all I have pictures of is when Jackie and I took the kids to Bridal Veil Falls while the boys stayed home to watch BYU football and get dinner started.


This is Maya.  Isn't she cute?  She was so sweet, and loved playing with her little cousins all weekend.


The water was freezing cold, but my kids don't let that stop them.


My kids also rarely understand the words "look at the camera!" Sigh.

I was really bummed when I realized I didn't have my camera at the cabin.  My favorite part was watching Jackie fight her daughter for the rope swing.  We rarely get adults who will try it out - even after we demonstrate that it will hold us, most grown-ups are too freaked out to try.  But not Gary and Jackie!  We had a great time splashing in the creek, chatting around the firepit, and they even squeaked in a four-wheeler ride before they headed home.

In other news, Tyler lost another tooth sometime last week when no one was paying attention.  It was on the bottom, and I had let him brush his own teeth for a couple of days.  Made me feel like the mom of the year when I realized it was gone - and Tyler truly does not have the personality to notice such things and log them as significant.  We may never know what happened to that poor tooth.

Kaitlyn, on the other hand, is on cloud nine.  The long awaited day has come!  She is starting pre-school tomorrow.  She is so young that she doesn't really need it, but boy, that girl is SOO excited for school.  She has asked me four times a day "is Miss Melva ready for me yet?"  And just a week ago, we decided that since a favorite neighbor is teaching ballet class, we would add one more thing and put her in there. 


And I gotta say, it is the cutest thing I have ever seen.  She is very serious about this, and I love watching her focused smile as she carefully copies her teacher's every move.  But the littly tiny ballerinas!  Oh, they are so cute!  Pictures do not do it justice.


When I first presented the idea to Christopher, I expected to get resistance.  It is an added cost, and she is rather young to really gain much from it.  But Daddy got this adorable grin on his face.  "I think I would like seeing Kaitlyn do ballet," he said, in his "Daddy's girl" mode.  And so we were sold.  I hope to get better pictures another week.

No comments: