Our family

Our family

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Baby on the move!

Well, I have to start off this post with my favorite news of all.  After two and a half years of potty training Kaitlyn, and one year of Tyler, they are both TRAINED.  I have always hesitated to use that word, because they would be fine for a week or so, and then have accidents, but they haven't had an accident in a month or two - and I don't even remind them to go anymore!  (Tyler has had a few accidents when he had the runs, but we'll let that slide.)  Hallelujah!  After months and months of Tyler starting every single #2 as a mess in his underwear, I can't tell you how amazing it is to find him running to the potty to take care of it all by himself.

Of course, I celebrated in probably the worst way possible.  I bought cloth diapers for Jasmine.


I have been contemplating this for years.  And especially this last year, when I kept wishing I actually had more to go in the wet and poopy load in the washer.  I didn't want to mix it with other clothes, and I didn't want to delay the load too long, but I also didn't want to run a load for just one pair of messy underwear!  We have a diaper sprayer on our potty already, which is an awesome invention, and disposable diaper liners we used for a while with Tyler too.  So I was basically there already . . . and still throwing out diapers.  The problem is that cloth diapers cost $20 each normally.  Since you need a lot of them, that adds up FAST.

So when I found a company that ships direct from China and sells them for $6 each, I jumped.

The funny thing is that my sister-in-law was trying to figure out why I am doing this, and it just didn't make sense to her.

"Is it because they are eco-friendly?"  Well, that is a great thing, but I'm not exactly an eco-nut.
"Do you think she will potty train better?"  Probably.  Perhaps.  I'll take any help I can get on that.
"Do you need to save money?"  Um, sure!  Who doesn't? I have to wash them 30 times to break even, but after that we're gold.
"Then WHY?"  Because . . . I wanted to?

None of this was very convincing.  And truly, I'm not going to be the most committed girl out there on it.  So far the cloth ones haven't broken in enough to handle overnight, so she still wears disposables at night.  And I'm not going to take cloth diapers on trips with us.  But we'll give it a shot around the house!


And speaking of around the house, Jasmine finally figured out crawling.  I wasn't really in a rush to keep all my floors immaculate and break out the baby gates, but towards the end she would just sit and sob if something she wanted was two feet away, which is just tiring.

So look out world!  She's on the move, and her hair is growing  in to boot!


No comments: