Our family

Our family

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The end of Halloween

I am actually really glad that we fit in a few Halloween events, because I think it is a great holiday for the kids.  The dress up, pumpkins, candy portion that is - I've never been a freaky, ghost story, haunted house person.

Monday we went to a local pumpkin patch.  These things have really taken on a life of their own around here.  Someone noticed that they got more visitors if they had a slide off bales of hay when you came to pick out a pumpkin, and before you know it, we have this monstrosity.  I think the website mentioned 40 different things to do at Cornbelly's, and in the hours we were there, we only saw a quarter of the property.  The kids had a blast with their friends.


There was a "jumping pillow",


some balloon makers wandering around,


giant lincoln logs,


and a race track for trikes, as well as slides, playsets and of course pumpkins galore.

The next morning, I helped the kids make some ghosts to light up our window.



Unfortunately, that left carving the pumpkins at our house until the last night, and I had a tutoring appointment.  So Daddy helped them and I snapped a few pictures when I could.


This year we figured they could handle the little knives, and that went really well.


Babies always want to be in on the action.  She is actually starting to crawl, so we had to be careful about her.


And then, last but not least, we sent them out trick or treating.  I have had a cold/flu bug that has been particularly mean lately, so I stayed home with my little elephant girl while these three headed out in the warm weather.


And after a street or two (half the usual route), Kaitlyn said she was done and wanted to go home.

"Do you want to knock on doors on the way home?  We are kinda far from our house right now."

"No thank you.  I'm all done."

So they walked home. And even after a rest, she said she was all done, "I have enough candy."

Poor Tyler, who has never seen "enough candy" in his life, just echoed what she said and went back to eating his stash.  And they really did have quite a bit of candy, so . . . they were done.

Of course, when we were putting them to bed, she mentioned going out again and we told her that she couldn't go Trick or Treating for another year.  Which made her break out in tears.  I don't know when she expected to go again, but it was sooner than a year.

Christopher said his favorite part of the night was when they stopped to say hi to one of Kaitlyn's friends on the sidewalk, and Tyler came up to the boy and said "Trick or Treat!"  Needless to say, the little boy did not fork over any of his candy, but I guess it was worth a shot.

My favorite part was Kaitlyn's decision making skills.  I asked her (a lot) when I started making Tyler's costume if she knew what she wanted to be, and she said she didn't know.  A half an hour before the party last Saturday, she said she wanted to be Princess Jasmine instead of a BYU cheerleader with us.  That is a costume in the dress-up box, but . . . we already had the cheerleader ready to go.  The night before Halloween, she decided she wanted me to make her a fireside girls costume (from Phineas and Ferb).


Amazingly enough, she has an orange shirt and brown skirt that match, but I still told her that would have to wait until our Disneyland trip.

And an hour before her gymnastics class, she asked me to make the BYU gymnastics outfit we got at the surplus sale fit her so she could wear that to class.  That one I did pull off, since it was just a three seams.

Somehow, I doubt that is going to improve next year.

No comments: