Our family

Our family

Friday, November 30, 2012

Belated

Some things are just as good late as on time, in my opinion.  Or, at least, this week's events have been.

First up was fixing a Halloween failure, when Kaitlyn picked out what costume I needed to make her the night before Trick or Treating.  She wanted to be a Fireside Girl from "Phineas and Ferb", her new favorite show that is actually really fun to watch.



 She already owned the skirt and shirt set, so she helped me cut the patches for her "stash" and I made her a hat.  Done!


It isn't up to my usual level of perfectionism - the sash goes the wrong way, the hat matches the sash and not the shirt, etc.  But the only thing that matters is that when I finished it, Kaitlyn didn't want to take it off for two days.  She even wore it to preschool.  (As a side note, the first version of that hat turned out just like a chef's hat.  Oops!  That's what happens when I make things up as I go, I guess!)  And she is very excited to see the Phineas and Ferb show at Disneyland soon, dressed up "so I could dance with them!"

And today I have to say I was very proud of myself.  I always feel slightly put off about having Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws.  Obviously the holiday is about spending time with family, and we have a great time, but I have always wanted to try making a turkey dinner!  I was always told that I should be grateful to not have that stress, but I guess I just wanted to prove I could do it.  And since our grocery store gave me a turkey with the "points" I had earned, I got my chance this year.  A week late.

Ta da!


And ya know what?  I'm normally a modest person, but this dinner was dang good!  Rolls from scratch, a brined, juicy turkey, and my favorite sweet potato pone.  Mmmm.  And I didn't even get stressed once.  I figured the event was worthy of setting out fun snowman plates at our actual dining room table - the first time our kids have eaten there, I think (since the table sits on carpet).

And they loved it.




(Yes, Kaitlyn is wearing her PJs.  When her friends had to go home to take a nap, she declared that she was going to take a nap too, despite the fact that she hasn't had one in years.  So she changed into PJs and brought her pillow and blanket down to the couch.  I don't think she ever laid down on it, though.)

And finally, one more wishful thought come true: Minnie Mouse.



I found some Minnie Mouse ears a while ago, and the moment I saw Jasmine in them, I wanted to make her a Minnie Mouse costume.  But she already had the elephant costume for Halloween, and I didn't see any fabric I liked at the store, so I stashed that thought away.  When I found some on another wandering trip later, however, I decided to just go for it.  If nothing else, I can take the Mouse off the front and it is a normal church dress!


So apparently this year, I am making more costumes for Disneyland than Halloween.  Huh.

No comments: