Our family

Our family

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Frozen party!

Back in January, my mom was asking what she could get the kids for their birthdays.  And I told her that I didn't really know for Kaitlyn as much- but I already knew my "Let it Go" obsessed toddler would really love the movie for her birthday.  And so my awesome mom put it on pre-order for her.

When their cousins heard that we were getting it, they all said that they wanted to see it to.  And "you should come over and see it at our house!"  turned into "we'll make a movie premiere party out of it!"  turned into "maybe we'll just call this Jasmine's birthday party, despite being two weeks after the fact".  Since another cousin has a birthday in a few days, we made it a joint effort.

Now, normally I am the type of person that rolls my eyes at "Pinterest parties".  Seriously, some moms spend hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars, and the practical stick-in-the-mud part of me says "bah, humbug, what a waste".  But I found a printable pack that was really cute, and lots of cute ideas online, and figured I might as well try some of them out.

And it was such a huge hit!  I couldn't believe how much the kids loved the little touches, like the "snowball" cake pops or the "ice cube" Jell-O jigglers.  Apparently the lady with "melted Olaf the snowman" labels for her water bottles wasn't that crazy after all.


This was one of my favorites.  I took the cute cupcake toppers and put "Happy Birthday Jasmine and Mollie!" on the other side with pictures of them.  They aren't all that professional looking, scotch taped to a toothpick, but everybody thought they were pretty cool.


Including our birthday girl, who still hasn't gotten the hang of blowing out candles yet.


Lucky for her, there were a lot of kids to help her out.


Kaitlyn helped me cut up a couple of the dollar store tablecloths to make the backdrop and doorway "icicles".  The funny thing is, I didn't even call it that- the kids named our basement "the icicle room" and loved going up and down the stairs through the fringe.


Kaitlyn cut out the little circles for the banner, and Tyler strung them together along with the snowflake that Kaitlyn and I made.  That is another reason it was worth it to have some fun with this party- it was a fun thing for us to do together.  The kids love helping, and if we learn pattern and cutting and sewing skills along the way, all the better.  We had pizza, veggies and cupcakes upstairs, but down here I had a stash of snacks that they could fill their little baggies with to munch on while they ate.


Tyler loved that bag.  He was so proud that "there are two Olafs! And it says Tyler!" once he got his name on an Olaf bag to match his Olaf shirt.  And then he filled that thing with a ton of blue marshmallows, chocolate candies, and blue cookies.


Christopher was worried the kids would all just go crazy and no one would be able to heard the movie, but I gotta tell you it was a very attentive audience down there.


Jasmine does love her Frozen!

No comments: