Our family

Our family

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jasmine is 2!

Jasmine will one day get very sick of us telling her that she could have had a unique birthday for Leap Day, but that she rejected it to have a boring, regular day.  In the meantime, it always makes me laugh.  Some people thought Leap Day would be a cruel birthday, but in my mind, you don't usually celebrate your birthday on the actual day anyway.  It often ends up being the next available day, or weekend, or whatever.

And this year, Jasmine's party is postponed until her gift from Grandma arrives.  Grandma and Grandpa Jones already ordered the Frozen movie to arrive at our house as soon as it comes out.  That quickly turned into a party with the cousins that were also excited to see the movie, and we figured that might as well be her birthday party.  It is almost three weeks after her birthday, but she's too young to know what a birthday is anyway.

So for her actual birthday, she unwrapped one present when no one was looking (ahh, that girl), and she got her finished Anna costume!



I made the costume a bit big.  After all, I'm hoping they will still fit for Halloween.  But hopefully everything isn't too baggy in the meantime.


By far, the best part of this costume is the embroidery.  Most people making this costume have stenciled the designs on, but lucky for me, one of my awesome friends has an embroidery machine that she inherited.  I can't get over how beautiful the colors look on the black vest!  In fact, I did some google searching about this costume.  The characters in this movie are wearing bunad, which is the traditional dress in Norway.  And up until 20 or so years ago, ALL embroidery was done by hand, covering the vest and bottom of the skirt.  Even now, a machine embroidered version is considered the cheap option (since all that hand embroidery makes the dresses about $2,000 or so, according to my other friend who grew up there).  Bunads are gorgeous!  And I sorta want one.  For . . . no reason, since I have no where to wear it.

But I digress.

My friend was kind enough to let me camp out at her house for a day and a half as we figured out the machine a bit together.  (First the bobbin ran out, then we had the wrong bobbin thread, then the needle was dull . . . typical sewing day, it seems!)  We decided to use some of the flower designs she had already on her machine rather than try to match the original, simply because we weren't sure they would be the right size.  So the end result isn't a perfect match, but it sure is awesome.


I have even convinced her that the cape isn't her enemy.


Convincing her to look at the camera is always another story.  I'll take more pictures once Kaitlyn's costume is done, but these will do for now.

Jasmine's birthday snapshot:

*Nothing gets between this girl and her food, still.  She wakes me up at 6:30am and asks for "sawa", cheering me on through putting my glasses and robe on so I can trudge down and get her cereal.  And then she often asks for some toast, or a cheese stick.  And then when the kids get up at 8, she has to have more cereal with them.  Annnd maybe eggs with Daddy after he comes down.  She is a sweet, happy camper when she is well fed, but if you skipped any food she will follow you around and ask "snack?  SNACK?" until she gets fruit snacks.  She often eats more than Kaitlyn does, and she has nearly finished off a pack of blueberries in one sitting more than once.

* Most people can't understand anything she says, but I spend enough time with her that I can tell the babbling is actually almost all an attempt at English now.  Daddy says that "I hear Jasmine say nonsense, but then I hear Mommy repeat back something perfectly normal.  How do you do that?"  She is very good at saying "dank u!" now every time we give her something.  And Daddy is very proud that she asks everyone who sneezes "you kay?"  (Christopher has always asked me if I'm okay after I sneeze ever since he heard the story of the time I sneezed and landed in an ambulance.) She calls her siblings "Ty-la" and "Tay-ya", but I still haven't figured out what she calls herself.  Actually, she kinda thinks her name is Baby.  We should probably stop calling her that soon.  Oh, and every time we get in the car ("tuck") she asks to go to "Dampa?" (Grandma's) house.  She's pretty sure the car should only take her to Grandma Skarda's house, and the phone is only for talking to Grandma Jones.

*She is still totally convinced that if she can't see us, then we can't see her.  She ran away from me in the yard the other day, and when I caught up to her she was tucked into a ball on the grass with her face down.  She was pretty sure she was invisible.  I wish I had been able to take a picture.

*Just like her big sister, she didn't tolerate hugs or snuggles for the first couple of years of her life.  But she has started to let me rock her to sleep sometimes.  And I sorta love it. :)  She is a Momma's girl, which came from being so addicted to food back when I was the only source of it.

*Most of all, she is our spunky / sweetie.  When she is happy, she is the most adorable little girl who loves to give us kisses and giggles.  And when things aren't going the way she wants them to while she is tired or hungry, people in a half block radius can hear about it!  We're working on that, and it really has improved a lot now that she has words to express herself.  In the meantime, I just soak up all of the happy Jasmine time that I can.

No comments: