Our family

Our family

Monday, March 9, 2009

Bits of us

Kaitlyn:

* Is constantly trying to do whatever we are doing. The other day, she decided she wasn't content playing with her own toys while I was tutoring. So she cried until I picked her up and put her in my lap. Then she wanted her own pencil like I had, so I got her a scrap to draw on. And then that wasn't good enough. Eventually, she was drawing on the student's notes like I was, and talking to him in very serious tones just like Mommy was. He had two tutors that day!

*She has found even more ways to get into trouble in bathrooms lately. I think the "playing in toilet water" phase started a couple of weeks ago, and the "un-rolling the toilet paper everywhere" thing has been going on for months. Hence, in our house, the rolls were sitting up on the counter so she couldn't un-roll them. But now she has decided she likes to pick up the whole roll and drop it in the toilet or shower to soak up water, and then leave it somewhere.
All of our bathroom doors are being kept closed until further notice.


Tyler:

* The other night, X-Men 3 was on TV in the background while I made dinner, and Tyler decided to sit down and watch the ending. He always gets excited to see things he knows the name of, so I wasn't suprised when I heared him say "he-gi-copter!" And there was a slight pause. "Hegicopter broken!" as it smashed to bits on screen. A second later I heard "Car! Car broken!" as a car burst into flames. And as the fighting began he looked concerned. "Oowie." I like it when he narrates movies for us.

* A few people have asked me why I don't just homeschool Tyler, and I think that is a valid question I want to answer. I am trying to homeschool him as much as I can- I pick up little things to do from all kinds of sources, and I think I am the best resource he has for learning about the world. But one of the concerns that Kids On the Move had when we left was that his social skills were really lacking. He needed to learn how to interact with other kids, and listen to instructions from adults other than mom and follow what the group is doing. That is one thing I can't provide on my own, and why we are looking at preschools. Thank heavens for the neighborhood playgroup and nursery, so he is already getting two classes a week anyway. My kids are also loving the weekly music clases.
Oh, and the rec center preschool has sign ups for next year at the end of the month. They hand out numbered wrist bands in the morning and then you have to come back in the evening- the whole thing sells out in an hour or so. Sheesh! But he has to be potty trained, and we aren't close to that level yet. I can only hope that by August he will be?

*Oh, and in terms of learning new things, apparently he has been listening to me too much lately. Something frustrated him the other day, and I heard him say "dang it!" He has been saying it in context ever since, even adding "gosh dang it!" once. At least I don't use actual swear words!

Sarah:

*I have two goals for myself lately. One is to work on my Personal Progress more. I got my medallion when I was in Young Woman's, but now that I am a leader they ask you to do it again with your girls. I have barely done anything since I got in over two years ago! It is time to buckle down and do it.
The second one is getting back to piano. I used to be fairly good at it, peaking about half-way through my freshman year of college. And then I just fell away from it. I have always tried to keep up a little bit, but for the last couple of weeks I have been trying to get in a half an hour a day. I didn't realize how much I missed it! I was worried that the kids would never let me do something like that, but I honestly see a difference in how calm the home is when I am playing peaceful music on the piano. They often come and try to play while I am playing, but usually wander off after a bit to do something else. I make sure they get some time on the bench to try it out too, and they like that. My new challenge is to try Waterfalls. I dated a guy my freshman year who could play this song, and I have always been jealous! It is nothing like the things I usually play, so it is quite a stretch for me. So far so good though!

Christopher:

*He is making more progress on the laundry room, but waiting for mud to dry has been frustrating him lately. In the meantime, he keeps coming home from Home Depot with more things we didn't know we needed around the house, that we on sale/clearance. So he has replaced lights in the kitchen and garage, fixed the fireplace, worked on Tyler's room, etc.

*This weekend he and some friends are all going down to Moab. I am grateful he has this "Moab group", because mountain biking is not something I ever want to attempt. I am not in shape enough, and not daring enough. But he loves going down these with these guys.

No comments: