Our family

Our family

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mini updates

Laundry room:
All of the plumbing and electrical work is done, and Christopher got drywall up the other day. He still needs to do the mudding and sanding, as well as repair the ceiling where it looks like people covered over old water damage (which we know was fixed, don't worry) with a gob of putty and called it good. Then we paint, then we install cabinets. Moving right along! The only problem is that right now the washer and dryer have been unhooked for a few days, and things are starting to pile up. Christopher was hoping to get everything set and painted before we get them hooked up in place, but if the laundry gets much higher that will be just too bad for him.

Pre-school:
I think everyone I know in the area is going to be sick of me quizzing them about preschool soon. Miss Melva's was great, in a lot of ways. She was a good teacher, and the other girls in her class were very well behaved and fun little girls. But the class was way too academic for Tyler. He needs people reading simple books, not 3 paragraphs on each page. These girls were learning what sound each letter makes! I will probably send Kaitlyn there someday, but I just think he needs someone who works more on individuals and not on the groups as a whole like she does. Great place for smart kids.

Then I went to Brighter Child, which is at the bottom of the hill. It sounded really good on paper. They have an introductory class for his age group that "teaches them how to learn and understand classroom tasks", which is something he really needs. But after watching one class, I can see what a friend was talking about when she called it "glorified day care". The first half an hour was free play gym time, then 20 minutes for snack, and then the last 40 minutes was coloring and learning activities. But to pay $50 a month for 1.5 hours once a week, I feel like I expected a bit more, ya know? Still not a horrible option, but it didn't feel right either. He gets that much in nursery class in church on Sunday. I did like that they had parent viewing areas off to the side though.

Tomorrow I am going to go see our Rec Center. A couple of friends just told me late last week that they run a preschool there, so I will keep my fingers crossed for this one. After this, the only other option I am looking at is the Learning Tree, which was the most expensive and amazing one I have seen. They are double the cost of other places, but they were founded by a mom looking to help her child with his language skills (just like Tyler needs) and are kind of amazing. I'm talking granite countertop kitchens to make pancakes on "P" day, with a science room for computers and animals, and a geography room with a map on the floor. Oh, and they come and get your child from your car for you so you don't have to get out. It's like the fancy place in Daddy Day Care, but run by cute, happy, little mormon mommies. I still need to watch an actual class, though.

After that, I don't know. BYU and UVU have preschools, but I really don't want to trek all the way down there if I don't have to. And my speech therapist is looking into ways to get him into Head Start or the district preschool eventually, but I know better than to hold my breath for that. If I don't find the perfect one soon, I will just settle for now and keep looking for something better for the fall. In the meantime, I have a neighbor who teaches music in preschools, and she is coming over once a week to teach them both music classes. And he still adores his playgroup on Wednesdays, which we honestly run like a mini, informal preschool.


This weekend was really fun, but I am waiting to blog about it until I get the pictures that other people took and promised to email. So I guess everything I said today is a work in progress!

1 comment:

the.G.s said...

Google Thomas Jefferson Education. It's a theory I believe I will use to homeschool my kids (I know, siiick, I said it.) But there is probably a huge network of them out there that could help (and I mean people specifically working with this program- not any old homeschool) even if you don't want to homeschool.