
I have a problem.

See all of those apples? That's just a small section of the tree. We have some fruit trees that were in the yard when we bought the house. Most of the cherry trees have died, but the apple tree and the pear tree have made it through a couple of rough years with the yard leveling. I was actually grateful the year that the apple tree didn't produce a single apple, because picking rotten apples off the ground is no fun. Now, keep in mind, we never really planned on eating the apples. Usually we find a few that are blemish free and eat them, throwing the rest away. We don't spray for that reason. But of all the years, this is the biggest crop yet. And miraculously, hardly any of them have bugs or worms.
But what in the heck do you do with all those apples? And pears? Because the pear tree did the same thing. Bumper crop, first year with no spots. They are delicious. I go out and pick one for Kaitlyn, and she is happy for a half an hour with her prize.
Now, if I was truly a domesticated woman, I would can for the next few weeks. But I have never canned in my life. And you know what? This sounds spoiled of me, but . . . I really don 't want to learn! I have other talents, I swear. Gardening is not one of them. And my kids won't eat canned fruit (believe me, I've tried and I think they are crazy). We are just eating fruit like maniacs for now.
So the moral of this story is, if anyone reading this lives near me and wants some apples or pears, could you please come to my house? PLEASE!? Because every single one of those apples and pears is going to fall to the ground and have to be picked up soon. I'd rather they got eaten. And picked by . . . not me. So you want 'em? Come pick 'em! I'll get the ladder out for you and help you and everything! There are some with spots, so you avoid those, and the pears aren't all ripe yet, but many are. I don't care if you want a snack on your walk around the block and just wander back to pick a couple off or want to stay for a while and grab some to can for yourself. Just . . . please . . . help me!
4 comments:
I still need to deal with my plums (want some?) but I would love to take some of your fruit if the offer is still up. I'm making jam soon if you have any desire to learn. Its REALLY easy
Oh, all those look soooo yummy. I wish we had some fruit trees. I know of one lady that sold her fruit on Craig's list. For pick up only, but she boxed it and people paid money to come and pick them up. She made about 100 dollars off of peaches she picked in her backyard!!
You can make apple pie, apple jelly, pear jelly, you can can till you are blue in the face and then have some good food storage!! LOL!!
I am just jealous of your fruit trees.
I'll trade you for tomatoes.
Well, my mother in law gave me a box of tomotoes the other day- otherwise I would gladly take you up on that. But you can come get apples anyway! The pears are almost all gone, but the apple tree still looks like nothing has happened despite boxes and boxes of them leaving. Come on over!
Post a Comment