Our family

Our family

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

General Conference . . . a while ago

I kept putting off blog writing because I swore I took pictures while my parents were in town over General Conference weekend last October.  I tend to leave pictures on my SD cards for a long time, and there are a dozen of them, so I just needed to take a couple of hours and empty them out.

When I finally did, in the middle of crazy December, it turns out there were no pictures of that event.  Huh.

I took some on my phone, at least.  So now I need to play catch up on the blog again.

My parents were on their annual driving trip to visit my brothers and I.  This time they also went to Jackson Hole and Canada for some sight-seeing.


They invited me, and I could have brought the kids, but it would have been days out of school, and my third trip with the kids leaving Daddy back stuck at work in a year.  So they took my aunts instead, and I think they had a great time.


Once they got to us, I took them to Kaitlyn's school carnival.  I usually hate those things- way too many people and chaos - but this one wasn't bad.  Food trucks, princesses, and R2D2.  My kids had no idea how impressive this hand-built replica was, but the guy had a remote that made it do all kinds of things.


After that, we headed to the cabin for the weekend.  We love Conference weekend, since we get to spend an extra day there.  


That game of Sorry was epic!  Grandpa kept heading back to start over and over again, and I thought the game would never end.  The kids talked about it for a month.




We even got to see my Aunt and Uncle, who came to watch a session and have dinner with us!


My kids love time with Grandma and Grandpa.


And then, the dreaded Tuesday came.  Kaitlyn has been begging to have her ears pierced for months.  We had picked "when you are eight" arbitrarily years ago, but then we mentioned that I would take pictures of her for her baptism invitations and she wanted earrings in those pictures.  We caved a bit, but I still wanted a definitive time in the futures, so I picked when Grandma and Grandpa come in the fall.  I was hopeful that, after all the time she spent begging for them, she would do better than I did.  (I had a complete melt down after the first earring, and sobbed if they tried to do the second one.  Mom said we even had to go home and come back the next day.  "I thought you were going to have one earring for the rest of your life.")

Nope.  Kaitlyn got in the chair and freaked out.  I wanted to let her just go home, because it is a totally optional thing, but I knew that she would probably drag me back every day and she had told all of her friends about it and she had wanted nothing else for MONTHS.  It took an hour of sobbing, but she finally got them in.


We had a bad day a month later when I found a curly hair had twisted into her ear and tried to heal itself into her hole, but once we got that out, thankfully her ears healed really well.  She still has me help change them, but I think she is doing well.

I am not looking forward to trying that with Jasmine, however.

No comments: