Our family

Our family

Monday, January 11, 2016

Tyler's birthday

Unfortunately, I have gotten behind again.  I wish I wasn't making this post four months late.  I do want to keep this more up to date, though, so I have to start where I left off!

Tyler turned 10 this year.  I always say that we feel old because it is the oldest we have ever been, but that still amazes me!  What a fun ten years it has been.  He took us by surprise in many ways, from his early birth to the wonderful and innocent person he has become, and we are grateful to be along for the ride.

This year, he ended up with three birthday celebrations in one week.  On his actual birthday, some friends asked if we wanted to come see the lights downtown with them.  We hadn't gotten a chance to go yet, so I jumped on that!  And since we met up with cousins and went to their house afterward, I brought along the birthday cake I made for that day but ran out of time to eat before we left.  Which made a nice, low key "party" of sorts.


Why wear one hat when you can wear two?




We missed having a Classic Skating day last year with all of Christopher's family, so we made sure to plan that this year.


This year, they only skated for a few minutes.  Everyone wanted to play on the bounce houses instead.  So we just moved the party into the next room.





As we were planning his party at Classic Skating, however, he once again surprised us.  "Can I have my friends come to the party, too?  I want Olivia to come to my birthday."  To be honest, we have always had a birthday party with his cousins because those were the only people he . . . remembered.  Even when he does play with other kids, he doesn't seem to remember who they are.  But he remembered his friends Olivia, Austin and Jacob from last year and wanted them to come too.  Hooray!!

Since we couldn't really invite them to the family party, we ended up just inviting them over to our house that Saturday.  A playdate with birthday cake.  I don't think I took any pictures, since it was mostly just moms chatting and kids playing around, but I was just so proud that he asked for it to happen in the first place.

I always do a birthday snapshot of what they were like on this birthday, so I'll see what I can do a few months late here.

*Tyler's reading has really been improving this year.  He can read level 1 books almost entirely by himself, and enjoys reading books about Star Wars and the Lego Movie so much that he'll struggle through a level 3 or more with me.  We read every morning before school, since we drop off Kaitlyn and have 15 minutes in the parking lot at his school before it is time to head in.  I am so glad that reading time is built into my schedule like that, because between that and Miss Angie's hard work, I have seen a huge improvement this year.

*Tyler is just as in love with babies as ever.  He is drawn to any baby he sees like a magnet, and it is hilarious to watch.  He loses interest in them when they are about a year or year and a half old, but until then, he will change direction on whatever he is doing to head straight towards the baby.

*He spends all of his spare time on his Kindle or the computer, playing Minecraft or watching videos of other people playing Minecraft.  Legos and Magformers are other favorites, too.  And recently, he has been enjoying going down the street to play.  Kaitlyn's friend Lily moved in a few houses away from us, and there has been a constant flow of their girls wandering over here and our kids wandering down there ever since.  I'm just so happy to see that he is interested in playing with other kids.  Miss Angie says that he has been improving in the same way at school, too.

*He loves Star Wars, since Daddy watched all of the movies with the kids, but the Lego Movie is still is favorite.  They watch the movie in the car when we go on long trips, and he has seen the ad for Legoland so many times that now he keeps asking if we can go there.  Hopefully someday we can get him there!

I love this kid!

No comments: