We planned on heading up to the cabin right after Christmas, but ended up delayed for a little bit. Even when we were ready, Christopher wasn't sure how easily we could get up there. So he headed up in the evening, and we planned to come up the next morning. We invited friends to come up and spend the night with us, so my main goal was to beat them.
Christopher had been able to drive his truck to the parking lot in the middle, but only barely. The road that is usually plowed was feet of snow that had fallen too fast for anyone to keep up with. And when I came up in the warmer part of the morning, there was just no way. What followed was a comedy of errors. I walked up toward the parking lot, since I had no way to tell Chris I was stuck and couldn't drive to meet him there, but met him on his way walking down to tell me that he had driven the Argo down and run out of gas at the bottom of his drive. He also told me that our friends should be here soon. So I ran down to try and find them, and he ran up for gas. No sign of the friends. He came back with the Argo, tried to get the Pilot up the road to the parking lot, and got it stuck. Then we tried to get it down, and were behind other people who got stuck and pulled out and stuck again. It took us most of the day to get down to the bottom of the hill to park the Pilot. And somehow, our friends pulled up just as we were getting down there, having been delayed themselves. Thank goodness they were happy to have an adventure, because we still had to shuttle everyone up to the cabin.
We love the cabin in winter, but it isn't always an easy trip!
Our "snow gauge" looked like about 4 feet or so.
We had David and his family up again for New Year's Eve, and had only a little less adventure getting them up. We took both the Argo and the four wheeler down to get them, but the four wheeler gave out in the cold, and the Argo didn't want to start the climb back up either. Once I got the Argo started finally, I ended up taking one load of people up and letting the rest of them walk most of the way before I could come back for them.
To be honest, we were cured of winter cabin trips for a little while.
New Years is always fun, though!
I found these little poppers that had prizes and paper crowns inside, and we had our usual sparkling cider challenge.
Then, Christopher broke out the paper lanterns he bought online. It was 3 degrees and windy outside, but he still wanted to try them out! It took a lot of tries to light one, and then when he did get one to take off, it blew right into a tree. Oops!
Our kids couldn't quite keep up with Wackee 6, but they loved it anyway.
We had a great time at the cabin, but somehow, it felt like a relief to be back home with plowed roads again!







No comments:
Post a Comment