Our family

Our family

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Halloween costumes, quickly!

On the drive home from Disneyland on a Wednesday (which involved Tyler puking, Jasmine wetting her car seat, and me spilling a drink on myself, by the way), I mentioned to Christopher that I had just finished all the matching shirts and Jasmine's Sofia dress in time for the trip, but had until Saturday to make the bigger kids their costumes.  And Kaitlyn didn't even know what she wanted to be yet.

"Good luck," he said.

By Saturday, I just felt lucky to have all the laundry done.  I won tickets to the local pumpkin patch's pumpkin drop event though, so it was nice to take the kids there.



It was a busy place, but slides and mazes and corn angels were a lot of fun.


And Daddy especially loved seeing what they dropped from the crane.


Kaitlyn just wanted to hold the bunnies all day.  Especially this teeny one.

After that, our neighborhood had the annual block party.


I should have had their costumes ready, but did not.  The only one who had a costume made for them was Jasmine, who sensed that I wanted her to wear the Sofia dress and hence refused to wear it.  She picked out a very bare belly Jasmine instead.  Tyler loved his Zombie pants and Zombie tattoos, and the kids loved that Daddy's costume was "Daddy with hair".


I asked Daddy to pose in the redneck "guns" sort of pose, and Jasmine decided she could do that, too.



About this time or so, Kaitlyn told me that she wanted to turn her khaki uniform for school into a Ghostbuster costume.  (I had known for months that Tyler wanted to be a Minecraft . . . something, but didn't know how to pull it off.).  I took over Kaitlyn's costume, but I wished I hadn't when I found a detailed list in her room of all the parts of her costume and what she was going to make it out of.  (Along with a Ghostbuster patch made out of paper and colored with crayons very carefully.)  Sadly enough, the proton pack took the most work, but I didn't even get a good picture of that.


I embroidered the Ghostbuster patch and name, shrunk a men's khaki shirt to be her shirt, and then took apart an old backpack to make the proton pack.  At first, I was going to make the men's shirt into a dress, but Kaitlyn reminded me that "Ghostbusters wear pants, Mom,"  Right.

And then, I had to figure out how to make Tyler into a blocky character without making him uncomfortable in boxes all night.


The box head came from the store with another face on it, but I was informed that the face looked wrong, so I was gluing Minecraft Steve's face on there an hour before Trick or Treating was starting.  I used a foam costume from a clearance bin for his shirt, and while it took a lot of trial and error, he has put it on a lot of times since then, so I'm happy.  And I had a lot of fun making the Minecraft "chest" and Ghostbuster Ghost trap for them to collect their candy in.

The only fail was that Tyler's box head had no reason to stay on straight.  So as he walked, it would turn aimlessly, and he would walk around like a blind man!


The other part I wish I had a picture of is Christopher's contribution that night.  He decided the day before that "you know what would be awesome?  We should make pulled pork sliders for Trick or Treaters!"  and did just that.  We have had a lot of neighbors comment on how wonderful it was to have some real food as they trudged along with their kids from house to house.  He had a party going!

No comments: