
I've seen a lot of my friends blogging about sending their kids to school in the last week. Many of you are reported tears as you dropped off your Kindergardener or First Grader, and couldn't fathom being without your little one for so long.
It is a bit of a different experience for me. Tyler has been in programs and schools for years now, despite the fact that he is still a little four year old in diapers. This is the longest for us yet: four days a week, gone all day. But it isn't new to me. I wasn't upset about him being gone today. But I am quite nervous if we are doing the right thing for him.
It is a new school, once again. The wonderful school that he went to this summer didn't have enough room for him at the moment, so we are back with the school district. I have mixed feelings about this. It is nice to have free school that picks him up and drops him back off again. But this class, while only 10 kids and 3 teachers, is for Autistic kids only. And Tyler isn't actually fully Autistic. The teacher talked a lot about how she tailors everything to each kid, so hopefully that will make up for it. But I was quite concerned yesterday when the teacher was describing things they do in the classroom, and showing things that Tyler was working on two years ago. I'm not trying to say he is too advanced for this class, but . . . I just don't know if it is the right fit. He is a very high-functioning kiddo, who can talk and interact with us a lot. I just don't know how many of those in his class are the same way. He does still need a lot of help though, and it is help I am not qualified to give him all by myself.
The upside is that by the time the wonderful (and expensive) school has room for him again, I will have checked out all the options available to me. I won't have to wonder what this other school might be like, or if there is something we haven't tried yet. I will have spent time in each option, and so I can make a good decision.
I hope.
1 comment:
That "Christmas Ornament" flower is called "Bird of Paradise" and is one of my absolute favorites! I am glad you enjoyed San Diego! My husband and I went in April for our anniversary and had such a great time! We both LOVE, LOVE, LOVE animals. So we didn't make it to many places because we ended up spending 2 days at the zoo and 2 at the Wild Animal Park. We did make it to the USS Midway, though. You are brave to venture that one with children! My husband is a plane fanatic. I, on the other hand, was awed by very little. It was fun, but I may have been like a 5-year old to him on that little venture--always asking "are we done yet"? :)
Post a Comment