Our family

Our family

Saturday, January 1, 2011

So much for the cabin!

We were planning on spending New Year's Eve at the cabin again this year.  Christopher's brother and his wife were coming down to stay with us overnight, and then my Aunt, Uncle and cousin and his wife were going to come and play with us New Year's Day.

Now, last week the snow was too warm, but this weekend it is about 20 degrees outside (for the high).  It snowed a lot on Wednesday, so we figured we would wait a day or two and then head up.

We knew we were in trouble when we saw the "paved, plowed" main road.


Then we got to the bottom of our hill, where things turn from main road to just our subdivision.  There were so many people parked there that we had nowhere to go.  And a few of them had nowhere to go either.  This, for example, is a car.  SUV, I think.  It's rather hard to tell.  And it wasn't there over Christmas last week.


Christopher started talking to a guy who was loading up his snowmobile.  I guess he has a cabin very close to ours.  He rented a very nice, deep powder snowmobile for the weekend - and he was having a really hard time making it up the hill.  He said that if he stepped off the packed areas to pull out his snowmobile, he was up to his shoulders in powder.  I guess this was his 8th year coming up for New Year's, and he had never seen it this bad.

So, not only was there nowhere for us or our guests to park, but we didn't even have a snowmobile with us.  Christopher was counting on everyone else packing down the roads so that our four-wheeler could get up there.  The guy offered to give Chris a ride up to our cabin to fetch our snowmobiles, but when he found out we had little toddlers with us, he said "If I were you, I'd cut my losses."

So we did.  It was really dissapointing to turn around after getting everything packed and ready and driving all the way there, but . . . I don't want a repeat of last week in 14 degree temperatures.

In my effort to get at least something out of it, I figured I would take five minutes and have some fun taking snow pictures.




Don't forget to comment on the last post if you want the bag!  I think I'll pick by Sunday afternoon.

No comments: