Last Saturday was a really good day, especially considering that I spent 4 hours of it driving. Let me back up for a minute.
I have a cute Grandpa. He is a true gentleman, in relatively good health at 96 years old, and we have been really good friends ever since I was a lonely girl that moved across the country on her own for college three months after my Grandma died. It was perfect timing (as much as I would have loved to know my Grandma better) because we ended up going on many "dates" together. And my Grandpa loves shows. Anything with music and dancing- he has season tickets to Ballet West and the Opera, and every year I have taken him to BYU's Christmas Around the World show. But this year I was in Disneyland the weekend of the performance, so for Christmas I told him I would take him to a different show soon.
So last Saturday I brought him down for a Young Ambassador's show. The four hours of driving was picking him up in Salt Lake and driving him back, but it was totally worth it. We had lunch together, and the show was awesome! The best part was that it was actually the 40th Anniversary for Young Ambassadors. So they had invited all of their alumni from the past 40 years to come back for the show and perform. I don't think that would work for most groups on campus, but if you are good enough to make Young Ambassadors, you are VERY serious about singing and dancing, and I guess you just can't get that out of your system. I thought they would just have them in one number or two, but about two numbers in I noticed - "hang on, there are too many people on stage" which led to "OH! The back row looks like they are 50 years old!" And they were up there, singing and dancing just like the 20 year old front row. I was very impressed. Not to mention, they had some special alumni that got introduced, with long lists of all the Broadway shows they had been on since graduating. One of them in particular just floored me with his "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables. Wow.
Anyway, after driving my grandpa back up to my Aunt's house, I dashed back down to change for my date. Christopher plays in a little jazz band our former Bishop started, and they were playing in a "Love for Haiti" benifit Ball that night. Since there were two bands playing, we got to enjoy the first half, and then I got to enjoy watching him play the second half.
And here are the Buzztones.

There are a lot of people to sort through in the band, but my husband would be the shaved head in the middle playing the trombone.They did really well! We (the spouses left in the audience) were worried since they hadn't played together in close to a year, but they were great. They aren't anything fancy- most of them are guys like my husband, who played in high school and college, and now only pick up the instrument for these gigs. But hey, they only charge a couple hundred bucks for weddings, and you get a nearly 20 peice band. So they are certainly worth that!
What a great Valentine's weekend! I got to have two dates with my two of my favorite guys. Who could ask for anything more?
1 comment:
The pictures really turned out great!!! What did your teacher say last night?
Post a Comment