Our family

Our family

Sunday, July 12, 2015

How the flu nearly wrecked my half bathroom

On the Wednesday before Mother's Day, I happened to make another off-handed joke to my husband about the tile in our garage.  We bought the tile two years ago with the intention to re-do the powder room on the main floor of our house, but just never actually got around to it.


The previous owners had put up wallpaper, and then sometime later, someone wanted to get rid of that without actually taking it down.  So they put a spiky texture on top.  It was so spiky, in fact, that it drew blood the first time I leaned against it as we moved it.  We sanded a bit and painted it, but otherwise put it off.


The vanity was also a bit large for the space.  The kids couldn't reach the sink, so they had to have a step stool, and that stool was constantly in my way.


Sometimes the details would get to me.  They hung the doors upside down.  Why?


And they didn't take off the light switch to texture the walls.  They just went around it a bit, and called it good.  You can see the "orange peel" texture from the rest of the house peeking there.

So when I made that joke, for whatever reason, my husband decided that he would renovate it for me.  In time to be my Mother's Day present.

I need to back up, though.  When my mom flew into town, she didn't actually see my husband for a few days because we had him quarantined upstairs.  He had a fever of 103 for five days straight, unless the Tylenol had brought it down temporarily.  His back ached, he was exhausted, and he was just miserable.  I honestly can't remember the last time he got sick before that.  Usually, the kids will bring home a bug that keeps them down for a day, skips my husband, and puts me down for a week.  So seeing him down that badly made me pretty nervous.

After five days of that fever, he was finally feeling better.  Finally able to function again.  And that is when he decided to rip apart the bathroom.


And right after that is when the second wave of the sickness hit him.  First comes the fever, then comes the congestion and coughing.  At one point he was so congested that he couldn't taste or smell anything for a week.

So it took a lot longer than he thought it would.  He often would come home from work and try to get things done in there, but after a half an hour he would have to lay down and accidentally he would fall asleep instead.  My mom and I had fun picking out all of the finishes while she was in town.  And eventually, once my husband was recovered, our bathroom looks amazing!


I tried to go with a different color, but I ended up just toning down the blue color from before.  I like the blue too much!  We have a new toilet that won't clog all of the time, a new vanity and mirror that fit the space, but best of all, we replaced the rotting laminate for tile.


The laminate was peeling up in a lot of places because laminate just can't handle water very well.  The subfloor actually had to be replaced because it was bubbling from all the water.  And now the tile is my favorite part!  We had five tiles left over from when Christopher did the front entry ten years ago, and I wanted to incorporate them in to tie them together.  (You can see the entry tile at the bottom right corner.)  Thankfully we found a tile that was just different enough and yet coordinated with it.  Christopher wasn't a huge fan of installing the mosaic, but it just looks so awesome!


And now the texture even matches all the way around, after hours of skim coating and re-texturing.  We also installed a timer on the fan, because those are really handy.

Of course, the sickness did end up hitting me two weeks after he got it.  Instead of five days of 103, I was at 101 for 9 days.  Instead of back pain, I had severe migraines for nearly two weeks.  The congestion and coughing that never ends were the same, however.  I barely made it through the last week of school, and the next week I was too sick to enjoy the first week of summer vacation.  I had a family meeting with the kids at the beginning of the week where we discussed what food they could have on their own and what activities they could do on there own, and then I basically crawled back upstairs and left them to their own devices for the week.

The kids were great about it, thank goodness.  Kaitlyn even came up to show me a puppet show she made up to cheer me up.


I'm just glad that sickness is behind us!

No comments: