Having known my husband for a long time, I just knew it would happen someday. He always has a new obsession on the horizon, and he doesn't go halfway on those. He wanted a smoker, researched everything about them for a month straight, bought one on a Costco trip when we walked in to buy sliced cheese, and has been smoking meat and talking to everyone about smoked meat ever since. He would also love to tell you all of the details of LED bulbs, training for an Ironman, and the types of wood for a wood burning stove.
So when I saw him shopping online for trailers after the first time he slept in one, I knew that I could either help him pick out one, or he would just show up with one someday. I quickly found that they are actually really fun to look at. I even still look them up on the classifieds because I think they are interesting. I like seeing all of the various layouts, and how the universally hideous fabric has change on the couches over the years.
We quickly narrowed down the layout we wanted, and soon figured out that we weren't alone. Everyone in Utah has a big family and not a lot of money, and so everyone wants bunk beds in an older trailer. Trailers in that description get snatched up thousands of dollars over their listed value. That is good news for resale value, as we found that they essentially bottom out. As long as everything works, they are worth $3,000-$4,000, no matter how many decades old they are. A price less than that means that you have to fix something.
I spotted this one, a decade newer than the ones we had been looking at in that price range, with the right layout and the right price. I texted Christopher, who then called 2 hours after the ad had been posted, and he was already third in line. When the other two backed out and he drove a couple of hours north to pick it up, there was literally a line of people in this man's driveway who had seen the ad, been told it was sold, and came anyway to see if they could outbid us or snag it if we changed our mind.
So while I might have been on the fence about owning a trailer, at least I know we can resell it quickly. For a profit, at that.
We didn't even know where we were going to park it when he drove it home. He just knew he wanted one. We had been debating on paving the grass by the side of our house, but the steep hill would make it very tricky. Thankfully, we realized that our next-door neighbor has an empty RV spot since he sold his years ago, and he was more than happy to rent that spot to us. Problem solved!
It is a fairly big trailer, but thankfully very light and more aerodynamic than the one we borrowed for Moab. Chris is impressed at how well his truck can pull it.
The dinette in front is our bed. The table is peeling and chipping everywhere, so that will be one of our projects.
I love that when we go camping, we can have a mini kitchen with us!
And, of course, a bathroom. The shower leaks a little so we haven't used it yet, but having a flushing toilet is really nice.
This is why this trailer was so coveted. Double bunks in the back. This way, the kids have their own spot in the back to play in that is a little tucked away from us. Four beds means that we can even bring a friend with us sometimes, or perhaps Grandma Skarda might join us for a night or two.
Why are RV cushions always so ugly? I understand needing a busy pattern to hide stains. I do. But who picked this pattern? Oh well. Someday, I might get up the energy to re-upholster all 8 cushions. I know how, but I also know how much tedious work it would be. For now, I am working on replacing all of the stained curtains and making fitted sheets for the skinny little bunks in the back. Christopher re-sealed the vents on the roof already, and he might improve the solar panel down the road as well.
We did take it out for one night already, and we've been itching to get out again. That is always the problem with trailers- finding the time to use them. Christopher's oldest brother was able to borrow it to take to Yellowstone last week, and I am truly glad. I want it to get used, even if it isn't with us!






No comments:
Post a Comment