Our family

Our family

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Moab trip (last April)

We hadn't been to Moab as a family for a few years.  The wife of one of Christopher's mountain biking buddies emailed everyone to come down and surprise her husband on a weekend trip, and luckily enough, it worked out that we could all come.

We had no idea that there was a big event in town that weekend, however.  And that meant that the hotel rooms were amazingly expensive.  So I contacted our neighbors and asked if the offer to borrow their trailer still stood, and off we went!


My children are total goofballs sometimes.

Christopher has always wanted to try camper trailers.  We have talked before about renting one to take to Yellowstone or somewhere else.  And he fell in love with this very, very quickly.  I think he was looking up used trailers on KSL the very first evening we were parked in the campground.

It is a really nice way to get the camping experience in lots of locations and still have the necessities.  We haven't tried camping with the kids mainly because, well, it seemed like too much work.  Kids don't care about sleeping on the ground, but it turns out that adults do.  I always wished that I had gone camping more as a kid.  But now I see my mom's point.  Mattresses are nice.  Flushing toilets are especially nice.  And a kitchen is even better.


Nothing beats a hot dog on a stick, though.


Jasmine doesn't like being forced to do things our way.


Huh.  I think I know where the goofball-ness comes from.


We picked a good weekend to bring a trailer, because the rain came down pretty hard most of the time.  Miraculously, it cleared up most of the times we had plans outside, so it didn't bother us too much.  It just gave us more excuses to stay in the trailer and make our own fun, listening to it come down.

The only thing I didn't like about that weekend was the neighbors.  A group had rented some of the little cabins near us, and they were blasting their music until midnight or later the first night.  Awful, pounding 80's hair bands.  The next night they were at it again, with tons of people shouting and running around.  Around 11 pm one voice rang out above the music.  "NO way!  I'll f-ing play the music as loud as I want!  You go ahead and call the f-ing cops, you f-ing . . ." - well, you can fill in the rest.  The music did get a little quieter, but they also set off a ton of fireworks and other nonsense.  Not cool.  They even had kids in their group.

Sigh.

Anyway, back to our happy family in the cute trailer.

Notice the little foot behind Tyler, by the way.  Jasmine dozed off in my arms, as I recall.


We got to Moab a day ahead of Christoher's friends so that we had time to hike around Arches as a family.  I love having a National Parks' pass!  And a camera.



But most especially, I love hanging out with these little people.








Daddy spotted me taking this picture. I was trying to match a picture I have of Kaitlyn at about that age in the same spot.


All Daddy noticed was the pose.  "You look like a mermaid!  Hey, Jasmine, go like this!", he said, posing for her.


And she did.

I just want to tickle that little neck.



Then and now.  We didn't spend as much time hiking as I would have liked to, but the kids were totally done and that was fine.


Daddy went biking with his friends one morning, so I took the kids on our own bike adventure.  We started at my favorite park, and then biked on a path down to the center of town for lunch and a really awesome banana split.  The trail had a lot of tunnels and bridges, and that made it nearly an obstacle course for my kids.  They only bike on flat, paved paths, thank you very much.  But we made it.  We even made it up the flight of stairs at the end, with some team work.


They earned a nice reward!

No comments: